My sterbai just spawned!

hovmoller

:o:o how would she go about doing that then?

Hehe yeah guess this term is usually for males..

After I have collected the few eggs I found I did see her going up behind the heater by herself and deposit one little egg without any males in sight... so if that was how she laid all of them then... blanks! (I didn't see the first eggs being laid).

Only males can "shoot blanks". It refers to the sperms inability to swim. *insert graphic images. :o:o

Females can be infertile too. But all eggs are infertile, right upto the point of fertilisation.

Ok so I may have used this expression wrongly.. Please forgive me, I am a foreigner.. But thanks for the reproduction lesson 101 :D

Nah.. it'll take more than that, hehe

I would love to breed some of my sterbai though (for a male to sneak one past the goalie! how's that?). I have Bandits as well but I keep them with Discus in a community tank so the water is probably too warm for them for breeding.

On another note.. My cardinals were crazy this morning.. boys were chasing the girls like mad! I've observed this behavior with my penguins and silver tips.. and yes... a little group of them sort of "exploded" in a jerky motion and a small cloud of tiny tiny eggs fell through the water (to become Cory food I guess). Very excited to see this.. Hope I can clear some space and set up a small breeder tank for the cardinals (have read the very extensive article on this site so I am aware of the do's and dont's.)