Wild Type Discus

fishplants

I was thinking about these the other day. Wild cauht discus were brought into the country a few years back tefe green and heckilii. havent seen them since

I was thinking exactly the same thing and wondering where they got to? Maybe they were just too sensitive and harder to breed that noone managed to get them going?

I'm not too sure, I remember a certain breeder up in auckland who wanted to buy her off me a couple of years ago though but thought the project was going to be too expensive in the end, will get a picture up by tonight - camera's charging at the moment.

She's the oldest Discus in my tank by a couple of years - I'd guestimate her age to be around 4/5 years?

do you mean brown discus, i dont think so because they are not very colourful :(

Excessive and unnatural colouring isn't everything in a discus :) . A 'plain' looking brown can be very visually appealing, and some of the Greens and Blues make some of todays modern breeds look, well, plain! :D:D

Eye of the beholder I suppose.

I'm not too sure, I remember a certain breeder up in auckland who wanted to buy her off me a couple of years ago though but thought the project was going to be too expensive in the end, will get a picture up by tonight - camera's charging at the moment.

She's the oldest Discus in my tank by a couple of years - I'd guestimate her age to be around 4/5 years?

Love to see a photo! :bounce:

if it is a wild discus I would say tefe green. Where did you get it from?

You'll never guess where I found her... :lol: Animates and they sold her as a young turq to me, I was really bummed when she didn't end up looking like any turqs I've seen before but I've had her for more than 2years now and she's a real character - didn't start laying eggs until this year.

Whatever she is, she is a gorgeous fish. My pick would be an Alenquer, they tend to have the orange-brown base colour, but the dorsal and anal aren't quite right for a true Alenquer. My best pick would be an Alenquer/Turq cross. Definitely not a Tefe Green, the Tefe have red spots, and have a black bar on each of the anal and dorsal fins that starts at the tail and radiates up and down halfway around the dorsal and anal fins (although this can be variable).

There has been a lot of cross breeding among the wild fish, and there is a lot of variation such that can be difficult to classify fish into distinct groups. There would be a case for defining this fish as a Blue! :o

I have an 11.5cm Female Brown that is rather plain, (but still gorgeous!) compared to yours Amy.

For those of you who are interested, here is a link to a German website displaying a large number of photos of wild caught discus. FWIW, my 'Brown' is almost identical to the fish labelled 'Manacapuru Blue', 6 rows down, 2nd from the right.

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gall ... /INDEX.htm

There are some stunning looking fish, although some of the photos could be better.

cheers