DIY Background

CodKing

Awesome background!! :hail: , busy trying to do one myself atm. Just doing some mock up ones to try and get it right, so far the only sort of trouble i am having is reducing the poly little round balls from being so dominate on the surface after scrapping away at the poly, i did try with the heat gun over them but not sure if i didn't do it enough or if you guys have been using a different method. (hope that makes sense) :lol:

Awesome background!! :hail: , busy trying to do one myself atm. Just doing some mock up ones to try and get it right, so far the only sort of trouble i am having is reducing the poly little round balls from being so dominate on the surface after scrapping away at the poly, i did try with the heat gun over them but not sure if i didn't do it enough or if you guys have been using a different method. (hope that makes sense) :lol:

Try some sand paper, the lighter grade. 180 maybe.

Might have been better off using a hot wire or similar rather than scraping the eps?

I didnt use poly for this particular backdrop, I used expanding foam. I'm thinking strength issues when it comes to sealing it to the tank but I've got a few workaround ideas.

When using poly it's best to use as dense poly as you can and I find a quick burn with a little butane torch can add some pretty cool dynamics to the surface after carving. This melts the individual grains together creating a much stronger surface and stops little poly balls falling out when applying the concrete. I've even carved an entire background using a just a torch. You want to start the torch as far away from the poly as you can and experiment with the range. Also as the it runs out of gas or is on a funny angle etc it will likely have hot bursts which can make gapping round holes, not so pretty...

Thanks!

It will be grassed and have a pair of Krib, that's all I'm certain of so far. I was thinking of 'clumping' the grass so i has channels of white gravel and giving my lone Sterbai Cory a couple of new friends. I still have to do some research and see if this will be suitable for them, input anyone? I'm also thinking of adding some wood, thin branchy bits. I've got some but it needs to be cut and I'm just not brave enough untill I'm totally sure on the layout, don't want to waste a good bit of wood! So with all of that in there I also need to add some caves for the Krib! I have a few ideas but it's a slow process at the mo.

The background cracked, the sun got to it one day and dried it too quickly so I've had to redo it :[ I can't seem to get it as good as it looks here dang it.

Circled is a hole and there is a big cavity in the back. The intake for a hang-on-the-back filter will go down the heater hole shown in one of the top photos.

Likely to have a small DIY canister filter as well, maybe a fluid sand filter if I can get it to look cool :)

120nvja.jpg

i tried to do this in my 300l with the heater and filter behind but i ran into problems. I used a nontoxic cement but in turned out oo heavy.

What have you used?

Also what did you use as a base?

i just used pollystirene and of course ran in to boyancy problemes.

I ended um just axing the whole idea which was a bit of money for me down the drain, but i'm keen to try it again on my 60l.

This job was my first, to get all the gear cost about $60 - $80 and I've spent a good few hours on it now. Learned a lot of lessons along the way! If I was to package this lot up and sell it I'd say $60. There are millions of how-to guides on the net, if you want to have a go yourself.