are frozen bloodworms enough for an eel? how often?

BikBok

our half banded spiny eel will happily chow down frozen blood-worms but turns his nose up at shrimp pellets, sinking tabs etc.

I haven't tried earthworms yet , am goign to try the wet towel on lawn trick suggested by another member.

But otherwise, are bloodworms alone enough to meet the dietary needs?

How often and how much should I be feeding? 1/4 cube every 2nd day ? he's still a juvenile and very friendly .. eats straight out of our hand and is out and about during day as well as night.

. I had a fire eel years ago that grew to over 14" eating nothing but bloodworms, 5 cubes a day, swallowed whole straight from my fingers!!

wow, I'm glad my half banded won't grow that big ..It would cost me a fortune to feed! But how much should I be feeding?, he's about halfgrown at the moment.

I believe blood worms are indeed nutritionally void.

as a treat sure, but really, you gotta feed almost half a pack to get good stuff.

Raw prawns, NEVER COOKED, as it blocks them up - prawns turn hard when cooked and changes the structure of flesh and they cant digest that - eventually death.

Prawns, raw cut it up and feed - will make them big for sure!

my TT eel was 45 cm when i got it, maybe 50 max. Fed on a diet of Raw prawn - large tiger prawns (18.50 per kg) at asian super markets - which my RTG also eats.

And the tt eel is on beef heart too - it has grown to 68 to 69 cm now! (my tank height is 72 cm, its just a few cm short of that height)

prawn, its fantastic

I agree with henwood on this one.

crude protein (min.) 5,0%

crude fat (min.) 1,0%

crude fibre (max.) 0,9%

moisture (max.) 92,0%

ash (max.) 0,8%

When you look carefully at that analysis only 8% of your 100g pack is anything other than moisture so $7.00 for 8 grams of usable food.

well I bought a single prawn from the supermarket deli. prefrozen but thawed and raw. The lady looked at me funny when i asked for one prawn and then i said it was for a pet eel and she said "that's way cool"

Anyway, I cut the prawn into what I guessed were bite sized pieces and put a couple in the tank. the eel slowly came over to have a look, started to bite a piece and then spat it out and left it. Not interested!

aggghh. thought i was going to be onto a winner. fussy thing. Just as well I didn't buy a whole bag.

So now I'll have to track down some shrimp.

He's a neat eel and likes hanging in the plants more than he hides. If he's hiding, turning the light on brings him out to see us. very friendly and interactive.

There's a guppy trio in the tank with him. hopefully they'll grow fast and provide him with fry soon !