My new underwater treescape killie tank - pics

Sophia

Here is my new set up.

Has had fish in it for just under a week.

The fish are 2 male fundulopanchax scheeli and 3 girls. The big male ('Big Daddy', for want of a better name :P ) is the boss of the tank except at feeding time when the little male zips around hogging the best worms. Big Daddy is quite active, he plays in the current from the filter like a guppy. They are interesting fish to watch, I'm quite attached to them already. After having mostly dither or 'fraidy-fish before, it's rewarding to have the fish come and wait by the dropper at dinner time or bump into my hand when I'm poking about in the tank.

Tank is 50cm long, 30cm high and 28 wide. At present there is about 33.5 litres in there. The back is painted with Dulux Selwyn blue. 3 coats to make it completely opaque.

Filter is an Eheim pickup 2006 - contrary to all advice I bought this instead of a box or sponge as it was the smallest and quietest filter. You can swivel the head and adjust the oxygen and power of the water coming out so I have it pointing into the corner on it's lowest output, but even at it's most powerful the current is still minimal. I would recommend this to others with a small tank. If fry getting sucked in becomes an issue later I will cover the base with stocking. Last one I had had fry living in there for a week or more at time quite safely and obviously getting plenty of food.

You may notice the curious filter/rock/stick arrangement, I will post a seperate thread about that in DIY as I think it's odd enough to get it's own thread.

Heater is an Eheim 50 watt.

Substrate - black grit - to keep the cloudiness at a minimum when setting up I rinsed under the tap one net full at a time. A net as fine as a stocking this was. Worked a treat.

Light is a chinese 2 tube thing, it came with 2 8 watt T5s giving out 14,000 K. I had it working with both tubes initially, but am testing it with just 1 - saving a bulb and seeing if less brightness makes the plants green up a bit more. The fish behave the same in all the light variations of the room.

Plants - planted in the gravel - twisted val, Hydrocotyle/Pennywort , tiger lotus

Stuck into holes in the driftwood - left, bolbitis/congo fern (I need more!); middle, small stump narrow leaf java fern and ordinary java fern; right, normal java fern; far right, little piece of Windelov fern and java fern

Floating - riccia and duckweed

The val and riccia are recovering from an over anxious dose of being sterilised (there are conflicting opinions about bleach on this message board and I picked the wrong one!! Don't use bleach EVER on these plants :-? ). Lotus also was affected by my vigilance but it has sprung back! The upside is that there are no snails in my tank!

Fertiliser - JBL balls, Flourish comprehensive

Whole tank & homebuilt cabinet

maincabinet.jpg

Side view of the best bit of driftwood

002-1.jpg

Frontal view

scheeli11-1.jpg

Another frontal

003-1.jpg

Small boy

smallboy.jpg

Boys & a girl

scheeli12-1.jpg

One of the girls

girl.jpg

Big Male admiring himself

bigdaddy2.jpg

Big Male playing in the current

bigdaddy1.jpg

Nice :) Make sure you post more photos as the plants establish!

Interesting bits of wood, just found somewhere?

One thing with aquascaping is that twos of things tend to look a little contrived, threes and odd numbers look a lot more natural. With your wood, having two upright like that can look contrived, but the same two, with one upright and the other lying down, could look a lot more natural because it makes them different from each other.

Some new pics.

Now have some cabomba that is growing very fast.

Hopefully thinking about laying eggs in the riccia. Had to have burrowed through to get this far to the top, her head was touching the surface of the water. Me snooping over her head did not bother her at all.

restinginriccia.jpg

Little Guy posing in the jungle

littledaddyinthejungle.jpg

Girls

girllooking.jpg

girl2.jpg

Big Daddy warming his back??

bigdaddywarminghimself.jpg

• 3 weeks later...