spoons upgrade to 500mm cube new pics updated-23/11/10

spoon

So basicially change the whole tank aye Joe?

Why don't you get your own tank and do all that you want to do.

I was just giving suggestions. I didn't say to change the whole tank. Also spoon just said that those pics are old and there is more live rock in there - I didn't know that until he told me. And I cannot afford marines currently. I want to set up my next freshwater tank with metal halides and a sump so if I want to get marines all I'll need to do is buy all those expensive calcium and alkinity buffer things and a skimmer, live rock, coral sand and all the fancy powerheads to create the right current. Although if I was getting marine the one thing I probably wouldn't do is get fish because they're such a rip off. I'd just stick to corals and glass shrimp (the shrimp are great because you can collect them in rock pools for free and they look really cool).

rodi is on my to do list this year im gonna save a bit of money and look around for a nice 4 stage unit

LA the bubble algae is on the piece of rock the kenya tree came with it hasnt spread at all so far (has hardly grown at all) theres some red macro and green and brown hair algae under that mushroom .

yeah u you can at the moment the bubble algae is not a problem as it has not spread and is easy to get to so lets use the hair algae as an example

algae needs light and nutrients to grow and getting rid of the light is not an option with reef tanks so you have to starve it of nutrients the main ones being a problem here are nitrates, phosphates and silicates , in a cycled , maintained tank nitrates should be pretty low if detectable in my tank i have the skimmer which removes some waste before it can break down into nitrates (or ammonia etc) , there is also the live rock which will get rid of nitrates and convert them into nitrogen gas , i also run purigen in a sachet that absorbs some of this as well . so really we are looking at phosphates and silicates i run a phosphate remover to minimise phosphates(it also removes some silicates)

however at the moment i dont have a rodi unit which produces pure water with a total dissolved solids of 0( 0 TDS) so every time is mix up new salt water im adding silicates these (or any dissolved solid) do not evaporate .

my tank is sitting at 27 c now i have a fan over the sump cooling it (it would be warmer than that other wise)

the fan cools via evaporation so i lose about 8l of water to evaporation each warm day like today im topping up with tap water (to keep the salinity correct ) but tap water contains silicates so im adding silicates to the tank basically fertilising the hair algae.

one i run a rodi unit i can virtually eliminate silicates so the hair algae will die off leaving more room for benefical algae like coraline algae to grow(the purplely stuff)

another way of getting rid of the excess nutrients is to use a refugium in here its basically a partioned area in your sump with bright lighting. you can grow macro algae in it(seaweed) the growth of this strips phosphates and nitrates from the water (providing it grows and is trimmed every so often) as far as i know it dosent remove silicates.

another method is an algal turf scrubber

my live rock is covered in these white worms they are like sweeper tenticles and come out more when i stir up the tank i know they area type of worm but i dont know the name of them . where they are near sand they build a tube out of sand

tonight i noticed one had homed its self in a minute gap between the overflow panel and the side glass of the main display

i found it difficult to photo graph but you get the idea what you can see is basically a cross section of the worm and whats in its tube , the actual worm is the black part the white things are attached to it i presume to catch food

DSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

my live rock is covered in these white worms they are like sweeper tenticles and come out more when i stir up the tank i know they area type of worm but i dont know the name of them . where they are near sand they build a tube out of sand

tonight i noticed one had homed its self in a minute gap between the overflow panel and the side glass of the main display

i found it difficult to photo graph but you get the idea what you can see is basically a cross section of the worm and whats in its tube , the actual worm is the black part the white things are attached to it i presume to catch food

cod king you should photograph this for me! :nilly:

DSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg