2224 Eheim pro filter problem

chipmgnet

Bought this filter of trademe to use in my 4 foot tank but I am having problems with to flow rate. Set it up according to the instructions. Ran it into a bucket to check flow and it was about 100/120l an hour. Is this correct? It seems really slow.

I have a smaller Eheim classic canister filter that has a better flow rate.

If it is not running correctly then what could be the problem?

Pretty sure that canisters actually operate with no head height as the added pressure of the siphon into the filter is equal to the pressure it takes the filter to push the water out.. Regardless as Ira has said it has an effective rating of 500LPH so I would be expecting something around there from it.

I would start with process of elimination, check that you get a good siphon through the inlet and outlet hoses (shows they aren't blocked) then check you get a good siphon through the filter (outlet disconnected -this will make a mess) to ensure no blockages in the filter. If there are no blockages then it is a pumping type issue so I would take it all apart and make sure it is assembled correctly. I have recently brought quite a few second hand filters and I have found most of them are put together wrong with impeller shafts installed at random angles (which has destroyed the impellers and shafts), bits of rubber that hold impeller shafts central missing etc.