How Many of you use Water Conditoners?

breakaway

How frequently do you use water conditioners?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How frequently do you use water conditioners?

• Every Water Change
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a fish bowl from TradeMe (wanted the heater) and when I picked up the item I was given a lot of water additives like De-Chlorinators and water agers etc etc.

I was just wondering, how many of you use water conditioners for your water? I myself have never used any water conditioners, and my aquarium has turned out to be just fine.

Thanx

I lived in auckland for 2 years, and after moving there from wellington, could nto stand the water, i feel sorry for humans that consume it let alone fish, i am surprised you do not have death after death after death, is your water filtered? Remember Auckland is know the 3rd most poluted city for its size in the world! I would never ever drink auckland water again.

Then again go to australia and try there water :oops:

we lived in melbourne for a year and while there went through ruffly 200 external filters, even with the filters for us to cope with the tast of the water we bought consintrate to add a few drops to our cups. Other than that we tended to buy about 100l of spring water a week. and we lived outside the city in Mont Marnecy/Eltham.

Cheers

Shae 250

Is your water filtered?

Nope, straight from the kitchen sink tap into a bucket then into the tank.

I have not had any mass deaths so far, Ive had the occassional fish death though. Although, one of my pregnant guppies died yesterday, because of dropsy. Now the 2nd female (pregnant also) is showing similar signs and looks very lethargic. I had moved her into the new tank which I imagine is not yet cycled properly, to prevent her from being chased to death by the males. I guess the stress of being chased around in the fish tank by a net (try catching a guppy in a heavily planted aquarium) was too much for her, and also the shock of moving her to the new tank.

I wanted to ask:

What If I take out the sponge that is on my Shark 1 Internal filter, and take out the filter that is in the new tank, and then squeeze the grimy water out of the Shark's sponge onto the new power filter's sponge, will it make the cycling faster because the bacteria from the Shark (taken from an established aquarium) will impregnate the new filter sponge and therefore establish bacteria colonies faster than they would have formed naturally.

Secondly, I wanted to ask how long it takes a tank (25L) to cycle if I put 4-5 guppies in it?

What you wanna do is run the two filters together. The unseeded filter will seeded/cycled in 2 weeks using this method, about half the time of a normal cycle as caryl has suggested.

Water ager for me, although I'm not actually sure if there is chlorine in the water here, I assume there is. The bigger the city usually the more chlorine in the water to kill the larger variety of bugs. Apparently certain areas in America has heaps.

A water change of less than 15% should probably be fine, as the chlorine amount would be diluted. Occasionally I have used water that is straight from the tap with no problems, but my water changes have tended to be on the large side recently (40-50%) so I always use dechlorinator (or rain water)

I live in New Lynn so our water comes from the Waitakeres - every week it is heavily chlorinated - I know because I can smell it when I turn the tap on - that's when I make the tea with water from my steam distiller for a couple of days otherwise you gag on it!

I've always used Stress Coat when I refill the tanks, one drop per litre of water! I wonder if I could use it in my tea.... :-?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Just going through some of the topics and found this. we use a spa pool filter with a special filter in it that removes some much down to a minute amount. We have tested the water before and after and the difference is amazing. We dont add anything else to the water apart from the occasional dose of salt.

I don't even do that on my African tank. They get a 50% water change every so often and it is filled up straight from the garden hose dragged through the bedroom window :lol: . The fish love it and play in the current of cold water.

• 2 weeks later...

at work we had automatic water changes going on. If i wasn't there fast enough with the Aqua Plus i found that lots of fish would die!

We were loosing loaches and borneo suckers, sometimes ten per tank. The only thing i could pin it down to was the automatic water changes and the lack of a water ager.

Once i stopped the automatic water changes the deaths stopped.

Palmy water has 33 metals and a good amount of chlorine. As a result i always recommend it!

plecs