Found a 1400L tank today!

Josh_S

it is very very deep and unless you spent a fortune on t5 VHOs or the better option Metal Halides in this case (400W paris ought to do it), you wont get a lot of light at the bottom.

however in a riparium you can have normal / good lighting for the plants out of the water, and the plants under the water are usually low light plants like crypts, java ferns etc. The plants above the water provide a lot of shade for the fish in the water. It is visually stunning.

I personally would use peace lily as one of the plants that grows out of the water, and its roots can go in the water in time.

I wonder how many times I would have to drive around Bulls before I spotted a deal like that lol.

My score this week was 3 sheets of 2.4m x 1m 10mm glass sheets that I got given and free cutting in half long ways so I have 6 sheets of 2.4m x 500mm sitting in my shed. I was pretty happy with that but your find is so much better.

I like the South American idea of Geos etc. Thats what I would like to do next perhaps with some wild angels if I can find some.

I wonder how many times I would have to drive around Bulls before I spotted a deal like that lol.

My score this week was 3 sheets of 2.4m x 1m 10mm glass sheets that I got given and free cutting in half long ways so I have 6 sheets of 2.4m x 500mm sitting in my shed. I was pretty happy with that but your find is so much better.

I like the South American idea of Geos etc. Thats what I would like to do next perhaps with some wild angels if I can find some.

That would make a couple of nice tanks

You're going to have to do some serious reinforcement of the floor!! I wouldn't want to fill it much higher than about 650mm with the 12mm glass. How is the stand designed? Does it have a flat bottom, or will the weight be on "feet"?

The stand is made of 50 x 75 steel with steel right round the bottom perimeter and 2 pieces going through the middle on the bottom. so the weight should be equally dispersed.

Ive been busy finding a spot for it, the only way to get it inside is the ranch slider in my lounge. Thats where its gonna live i guess. Got some 17mm ply and 40mm poly today, also a couple of lengths of 100x75 timber to reinforce the flooring joists.

Tomorrow will attempt the big lift, how many will it take to lift i wonder. Anyone have any idea? Its still on the trailer the old owners lent me.

Considering its 12mm glass I would be careful to ensure there are more lifters there then needed. Taking the weight is one thing but lifting it with correct support is another. Its a large tank, and quite high, nothing wrong with being safe rather then sorry, a couple of bottles of wine and a box of beer should supply you with plenty of lifters.

when i empty the water to 15% i can move it myself

it is on wheels

bigfish.gif

You are a smart man! im gunna have to do in the old fashion way im afraid. :o

Should have at least 6 or 7 here though, but have a couple stairs to deal with. I can feel an acc claim coming on....

Always have one spare person for a big lift like that. Nothing worse than feeling your fingers slipping especially if you are moving 240+ kg of glass with just over 5 mtrs of smooth edge and sharp corners with no handles. You could get maybe 6 people around it so that’s 40kg per person.

+ 1 with a camera :D

Hi

You are soo lucky getting a tank like that soo cheap good on you :bounce:

When I bought my 1300ltr we could move the stand and hood with 4 but the tank was soo heavy I went to the local volunteer fire brigade on training night and offered a donation to their slush fund and 8 of them moved it into the house. They were great and only took a few minutes, they have good gloves etc so could get good grip on glass. I think the neighbours wondered what was going on when the fire truck turned up outside my house :lol: