DIY nitrate and phosphate remover

CodKing

Yeah sand was the other option. I've got a nice design for a fluid sand filter. Putting a false wall in the back on the aquarium so the backdrop is a narrow chamber swirling sand.

For the algae beds I was thinking maybe an LED setup. I've got an old computer powersupply which I've turned into a benchtop 12V power supply which would run awhole bunch :) I was thinking if done properlly it could be quite small and tidy.

the bigger the algae scrubber the more efficent it is at nutrient export so its worthwhile making it a decent size some of the reefers use par 38 energy saving bulbs they are 23w and have a built in reflector

Take Stantamonica's word with a bit of caution, he posts on a lot of forums, only about scrubbers. To put it politely he is very enthusiastic over the positives and dismissive of the negatives. From his posts on the NZ marine forums I believe he also sells scrubbers.

Although after saying that, I have been wondering when freshwater fish keepers are going to cotton on to things like algae scrubbers and deep sand bed's. A lot of us are doing it already, a tank with a deep layer of substrate that has been running for a while is effectively running a deep sand bed

Although after saying that, I have been wondering when freshwater fish keepers are going to cotton on to things like algae scrubbers and deep sand bed's.

Probably about when siphoning out the door then refilling from a hose becomes as expensive as a couple kg of salt and 200L of RO water.

Probably about when siphoning out the door then refilling from a hose becomes as expensive as a couple kg of salt and 200L of RO water.

Or when they find out you don't need to clean your glass if you don't have nitrates. It's been 4-5 months since I last did mine. Or realize the main reason for water changes is removing nitrate, if you have no nitrate........

I should really keep quiet, it could ruin a lot of peoples hobbies if they no longer have reason to spend their weekends doing maintenance :lol:

Or when they find out you don't need to clean your glass if you don't have nitrates. It's been 4-5 months since I last did mine. Or realize the main reason for water changes is removing nitrate, if you have no nitrate........

I should really keep quiet, it could ruin a lot of peoples hobbies if they no longer have reason to spend their weekends doing maintenance :lol:

I haven't cleaned my glass in 4-5 years. It doesn't take an entire weekend to throw one end of a hose in a tank, suck on the end then wander off for half an hour. Certainly beats the crap I went through with my marine tank.

Take Stantamonica's word with a bit of caution, he posts on a lot of forums, only about scrubbers. To put it politely he is very enthusiastic over the positives and dismissive of the negatives. From his posts on the NZ marine forums I believe he also sells scrubbers.

Negatives? The only negatives I can really see are stripping the water completely of things my plants can use and probably how ugly the end result will be :P

Thanks for the tip!

A bit of research will soon start to show the negatives, most forums he posts in become annoyed at how he is "selling" his idea's and start to pull them apart. Some of the common points are coloring of the water, difficulty of maintenance, overstatement of how well they work, risk of the algae crashing, safety with some of the designs, power usage, etc

A bit of research will soon start to show the negatives, ...

When I read it I thought it seemed like useful tool presuming of course that the pods etc he describes do eventuate. After some thought I decided that it probably wouldn't be trustworthy on it's own, and that it would be better to run a tank with both skimming and an algae scrubber.

Of course, I haven't set up a reef tank yet, I'm still armchair reefkeeping. :D In your experience, are many people in NZ using them?