Ram Breeding Log

Guest Cam

Hey guys,

Yesterday I bought a pair of rams in the Animates buy one get one free deal (I always seem to buy a pair of blue rams when they have this deal). This time the only good quality rams they had were gold rams so i decided to get a pair of gold normal finned rams. I had alot of trouble sexing these guys when even though I can usually sex blue rams really easily. So i got a what I hope is a male and female pair :bounce:.

So I'm sure lots of people got rams at the speacial and I decided to set up a breeding log to hopefully help people and get advice on breeding these guys. I use to breed the blues ages ago but had only had 1 good pair that raised the fry to free swimming stage (and then they only survived 2 weeks :( ).

So heres my setup.

Its a 40 x 40 x 25cm tank. it has a pot and a few rocks for them to breed on and in also has a small strip of fine sand just in the front. The plants are just cuttings from a around the shed.

Image060-1.jpg

And heres a pic of what i hope is the female. please give me your opinion as I'm not 100% sure i'm right. She has a rounded dorsal fin and rounded anal fin

Ram.jpg

She's still needs to colour up a bit and she's a bit skinny but she'll fatten up

BettaSplendens: Not sure at which age or size these breed but since most rams bought into the shops are imported they are usually breeding size and age.

Thanks ryanjury. I was 99% sure it was a female but still had my doubts. The males fin doesn't have a long fin extension but his dorsal and anal fin are both pointed.

Ok so the female is quite agrro to the male. not a good start :-? :( . Never had pair that didn't get along. I've added 3 cherry barbs as target/ dither fish. Hopefully this helps.

yeah I know. I like to have a semi agro female as she defends the eggs better but this girls really a little too agro. Hopefully they'll pair up and take their aggressions out on the cherry barbs.

Ok so went out to turn the lights on and the female was out but couldn't find the male. Then out of nowhere he came and the two of the started flaring at eeach other side by side and then would suddenly lip lock and do the whole thing over again. this went on till the male gave up and got followed around the tank with the female pecking at him. I think this is more aggro than pairing behaviour. Don't know if I shopuld seperate them.

I had mine for 3 days and they layed eggs.

I chose them from seperate tanks so they wernt a pair when i got them. They ate the babys when they hatchd tho :x but ready to lay again. One thing i found real strange is that they layed the eggs in the sand so i couldnt take them out :evil:

Ph 6.8 :o tho they are sapost to like it lower? had angles and a GAE in the same tank. my male has realy long fins compered to the female who has a pinker belly.