Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Angels not eating?

Featured Replies

I recently brought two small angelfish to go into my community tank. The tank is two foot squared and have roughly 40 neons, 1xBristlenose, 4xLemon Tetra's and a SAE. There are a lot of hiding places among the plants and driftwood. The problem is the Angels haven't eaten since I got them. One of them seems to be rather aggressive towards the other and is constantly chasing him away from his little area of the tank. They have both started moving around the tank more but when it comes to feeding time they just hover around and seem to just "watch" the others eat. I've tried feeding flakes, pellets, frozen meal and blood worms without any interest. I'm a little paranoid as I've never had much luck with Angels in the past and I really want them to reach maturity. Should I be worried that they aren't eating after 5 days of being in the tank?

When you say they have no interest - do you mean the angels don't come to the surface when the other feed, or are they going up to the food and ignoring it?

I have one angel in a 250L community tank that doesn't usually fed with the other fish, so I feed the other fish down one end and wait a few minutes and feed the angel individually down the other end.

It took a while to get use to the routine but now the angel knows and watches the others get feed first and then comes to the surface to get it's own food after. HTH

If the fish is only new and is otherwise looking healthy then I wouldn't worry too much the fish probably isn't used to the food you are feeding, and they should get hungry enough to try something new. As a breeder I feed a large variety of foods to ensure my fish eat anything for their new owners (plus variety is always good) but plenty of breeders feed only the one food so this is all the fish recognise as food and refuse to eat anything else this could be what has happened here. Is there any chance you can go back to where you got them from and ask them what they were feeding? All the angels I have had have eaten anything and everything they could (including neons and other tetras).

Are the fish still looking healthy enough? Swimming around and pooing etc? Not looking too skinny?

  • Author

Thanx for the advice guys. They both came up to inspect the food this morning. One of them even took a lunge for some before a swarm of neons beat them to it... I'll try feeding the neons on the other side of the tank this arvo and see how it goes. Thanx again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.