Papakura Water

ducati

if you aer weary still

prime by seachem is the BEST value for money

might sound expensive, cos it is, but if you calculate litres treatment per ml of solution.....its way way cheaper. just get a syringe and measure that way.

5ml can treat 200l!

so to be honest i woudl use half that treatment cos nz water does not have much chemicals to begin with.

youc an get a 2 litre bottle of prime for very cheap! almost 40% cheaper than buying small bottles in terms of MLs/$ ratio.

i did that.

i dont anymore, no point.

but, they also neutralise amonia! very good

I remember a conference we had on the North Shore where they set up demo tanks for our viewing. The goldfish breeder was filling the tanks using the fire hose. The smell of chlorine was very strong. He then dropped the goldfish in. He claimed he never treated to remove the chlorine and it never bothered the fish. His goldfish were huge and excellent quality.

evidence of chloramine in tap water - according to the test sheets of watercare, theya re not there.

now, chloramine if im not mistaken is a reactinow tih amonia and chlorine?

well...

i have been using straight out tap water in my tanks...All of them including discus which are apaprently mroe sensitive....

no adverse effects.

i asked for a test sheet and the chlorine in taps are almost non existent to none, evaporating before they reach your taps.

none the less.

i use no agers - none - and no problems and my fish are fat, huge and monstrous....

in sayign that, id otn know bout west, south or regional nz.

if you are scared. try this

get 5 goldfish - cheap comets or cold water guppies

put them in the bucket - a big bucket, and leave them over night running a tap over it int eh kitchen or outside garden tap

if next morning they are alive, perhaps thats a godo sign:D

nz water is clean.

Thats all well and good 90% of the time it wont be an issue. But for a lot of cities they will treat their water in a chlorine dump, and put a big load in on treatment day (this is especially true for Napier and Palmerston north).

Also sometimes they will flush the mains lines with chlorine to clean it.

So, most of the time, the water most likely will be fine, and maybe henward lives in an area where the water comes from a reservoir that doesn't need much treatment. But for a lot of NZ it could be playing a little bit of russian roulette.

you are aright, most of east coast bays, albany okura is from the okura resevoir. so yes.

if youare water is treated fully - then it may be riskier.

also, in theory.

wtih the tiny amounts of chlorine per say - will kill SOME bacteria not all of it, because the chlorine is not so concentrated.

then in that case,

corerct me if i am wrong - i am applying darwinian principles here.

if say initially 50% of bacteria die, then the surviving ones are teh ones taht can tolerate the contents of your water.

and so on, so those will breed and multiply to be more resilient.

just a thought.

you selectively breed bacteria:D

If you have read my previous posts you will see that monochloramine is manufactured by reacting ammonia with chlorine and it is then used as a sanitising agent in water supplies in about 25% of the USA rather than using chlorine. In NZ water supplies are required to be treated with chlorine and any monochloramine present is a biproduct of the chlorine reacting with nitrogenous componds present in the water. All organic compunds contain proteins and all proteins contain amines. If your water supply is so pristine that it contains no organics (including micro organisms) then it would not need to be treated. If there are organics present (and there will be) then there will be chloramines present.

If you add 1ppm chlorine to a water supply you will not get 1ppm free available chorine as the water has a chlorine demand. This is what is formed when the chlorine reacts with components in the water. This could form (among other things) chloramines and "bacteria chloride"

You may therefore need to add 3ppm chlorine in order to get 1ppm free available chlorine.

The aim is to get free available chlorine at the water supply tap in your house and everything else is a biproduct of that.

If there is free available chlorine present it will kill all pathagenic bacteria. There are some other micro organisms that chlorine is not effective in dealing with. Darwinian theory does not cover "bacteria chloride"

Do the test results say that they have tested for chloramines and there are none present or do they indicate that they have not tested for chloramines?