Marina C10 Heater - Unable to maintain tank temp?

breakaway

Bought one of these heaters recently, as I'm building a small planted setup. Figured the space I save would be good.

The tank it's used on is a AQ-World Panorama 12. That's a 12L bow front aquarium. I figured once I account for all the gravel I put into it, plants, etc, the total water volume will be under 10L, so the Marina C10 (rated for 10L max) should be fine.

Now I've had it running for 2 days. The heater hasn't turned off at all (I can see the little light on it is on 24/7) and the temperature of the tank won't come up. When I close the doors to the room (small room) and run my heater, the temperature starts coming up to 24 (I have verified by using two different digital aqua one thermometers and one stick-on gauge that the temperature readout is correct). The highest I've ever seen it is 24.5° C. I've ensured good circulation in the aquarium etc but it just doesn't seem to be working.

I just got home from work ant it was sitting at 20.4° C. What's the story? Is this heater simply too small for this tank? It's apparently rated for 10L tanks though, so it should be fine shouldn't it?

At the same time I have a 40L tank running with a 50W heater and it seems to have no problems maintaining temps,.

Bought one of these heaters recently, as I'm building a small planted setup. Figured the space I save would be good.

The tank it's used on is a AQ-World Panorama 12. That's a 12L bow front aquarium. I figured once I account for all the gravel I put into it, plants, etc, the total water volume will be under 10L, so the Marina C10 (rated for 10L max) should be fine.

Now I've had it running for 2 days. The heater hasn't turned off at all (I can see the little light on it is on 24/7) and the temperature of the tank won't come up. When I close the doors to the room (small room) and run my heater, the temperature starts coming up to 24 (I have verified by using two different digital aqua one thermometers and one stick-on gauge that the temperature readout is correct). The highest I've ever seen it is 24.5° C. I've ensured good circulation in the aquarium etc but it just doesn't seem to be working.

I just got home from work ant it was sitting at 20.4° C. What's the story? Is this heater simply too small for this tank? It's apparently rated for 10L tanks though, so it should be fine shouldn't it?

At the same time I have a 40L tank running with a 50W heater and it seems to have no problems maintaining temps,.

It's rated probably for 10L at a room temperature of 21°...Sounds like it's not enough if you have a cold room.

I thought the 1 watt / 1 litre rule that's thrown around would stay true, but guess not. At the moment I'm having to run a heater to keep the room warm, and even then the heater can barely manage 23°. Will be taking it back at my earliest convenience.

I thought the 1 watt / 1 litre rule that's thrown around would stay true, but guess not. At the moment I'm having to run a heater to keep the room warm, and even then the heater can barely manage 23°. Will be taking it back at my earliest convenience.

Not even close. Volume is basically irrelevant, it's surface area that matters. Double the dimensions of a tank and the volume cubes, but the surface area only squares. If 10 liters takes 10 watts to keep at a set temp, double the dimensions and you'll have an 80 liter tank that takes 40 watts to keep at temp or 1 watt per 2 liters. Triple the dimensions 270 liters that takes 90 watts, 1 watt per 3 liters.

The Marina heaters are designed for people wanting to heat plastic tanks. So basically safe for kids to use, unbreakable, safe to remove from the water while plugged in, don't run burning hot to the touch. They work very well for the purpose they were designed for, but are a compromise and poor heater if your wanting it to work like a traditional heater but look pretty.

• 11 months later...

Anyone else used these heaters?

Am planning a 1ft cube nano (25L) and considering the C25 model, but low temps for plants aint gonna cut it. Was thinking I could run two C17s even, would still look better than a conventional heater, but more $$ :(

Anyone else used these heaters?

Am planning a 1ft cube nano (25L) and considering the C25 model, but low temps for plants aint gonna cut it. Was thinking I could run two C17s even, would still look better than a conventional heater, but more $$ :(

Yeah I have one of the C25 models... I have to say it was probably the biggest waste of money I have spent on fish related items. I purchased mine in February and it couldn't get the tank even close to the stated 26c that it's meant to achieve on correctly sized tanks. The box states it's designed to increase the water temperature by 4c from room temperature... I guess I should of read that bit :roll:

Anyway if anyone wants one I have a hardly used one going cheap lol