Black Brush Algae??

Sunbird73

It seems it has taken hold on my AR380. It hasn't completely taken over, mostly on the heater holder things, little tufts on the glass, but seems to really want to grow on the coconut cave quite a lot. I wasn't really worried before this, thought it was normal but have just looked up BBA on internet and now maybe thinking I should be worried?

About 10 days ago I did a big clean out of the tank, big water change, scrubbed the glass, scrubbed the coconut within an inch of its life and soaked in hot water, and soaked the heater holder things in hot water too. Some of it went red (assume dead?) but it is starting back on the coconut and glass again.

Do I need to worry unless it really starts to spread? I have flourish that I put a drop in to the tank every few days to a week...

And also the tiny snails have gone out of control - is this an indicator of an imbalance - if so, what? (or just snails doing what snails do?)

I do a 50% water change weekly, sometimes more often. No Co2 or anything, just lights.

Flourish excel squirted directly onto it will kill it (use a syringe) and if just put into the tank daily will partly control it. It depends how much of a woolly look you like in your tank as to whether you worry about it or not. The amount of excel you can use will be more determined by the fish you have in the tank than by the algae as some fish are more sensitive to it than others.

Snails IMO need to be picked out. :D

definitely try the flourish excel squirted directly onto it. You don't even need much, I've had success with about 2ml worth on a little tuft. Turn the filter off so the water is kind of still and let it sit around it (you can see the water get all swirly where you squirt it in) for a few mins. I wasn't very good at waiting so did it every couple of days until I saw it turn pink.

Thanks for that. Now I need to decide whether it is annoying me enough to buy some Flourish excel when I already have some normal flourish that will take me forever to get through anyway (I use one drop for that tank). It is the only tank I have that is planted, the other 2 have crappy lights (and apple snails :roll: ).

Flourish and Flourish Excel are completely different products. Flourish is a fertilizer, Flourish Excel is Co2. They both come in different sizes.

Thanks for that. Now I need to decide whether it is annoying me enough to buy some Flourish excel when I already have some normal flourish that will take me forever to get through anyway (I use one drop for that tank). It is the only tank I have that is planted, the other 2 have crud lights (and apple snails :roll: ).