DIY TANK

SAFFABOY

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INFO ON GLASS THICKNESSES FOR CERTAIN HEIGHT TANKS,RELATING TO PRESSURE ON THE GLASS THE TALLER A TANK GETS.

I WANT TO BUILD A TANK FOR DISCUS 900(L)X500(W)X1000 HIGH.

WOULD I NEED ABOUT 10MM GLASS?

ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

1000 deep is VERY deep. The general consensus is 650-750 is about as deep as is practical (depending on your arm length!). Also getting light to penetrate to this depth can be an issue if you are wanting to keep plants/coral.

I just setup a large tank, and put my volume in the width (front to back) insted of height. 2200Lx950Wx730H. Even this size its VERY hard to reach the back of the tank, even standing on a ladder leaning accross. Note my tank doesn't have any lids either, which I suspect would make it even harder.

Good luck though, big tank projects are always exciting!

Pie

Yeah, imo unless you're going for something like a tall hex or something like one of my tanks which is 900 tall but is only something like 400X 400 base you really don't want to go much beyond 600. I don't think if I was getting a rectangular tank made I'd go over 600...Might even be inclined to go a bit less. Unless you're going for huge tanks that you can swim in to clean.:)

15mm Glass would probably be ok. It will give you a safety factor of 2.7 (270%) which is not bad. Most tanks available at shops aren't built to this safety factor...

Because it is so tall and the pressure and forces on the bottom edge and lower parts of the sides will be very high compared to lower tanks you'll need to double-butt the joins at the bottom and sides. You'll need to use a piece of 15mm glass full width at the bottom and full height up the side. You'll then get a 30mm wide silicone join. The strips only need to be 50m wide but will probably end up about 75mm wide so it's easier to cut.

I'd also recommend getting all the edges of all the glass ground square and flat. It will double the strength of the glue joins and make it a lot easier to put together. It will add about 20% to the glass cost however (still well worth it). It also look much better. You can use much thinner glue joins, 0.25mm instead of 1-2mm.

Would be a great tank for discus!! (or a reef tank).