converting plants to brackish & how to maintain them

wayno3579

Interested in hearing peoples experiences with regard to converting plants to become brackish tolerable.

I've set up a trial tank with (currently) java fern, windelov, and ambulia and intend to slowly raise the salinity via the regular water changes. My goal is to have established brackish tolerable plants to move into my puffer/fig8 tank sitting at SG of 1.010. (Also intend to add to the list of plants e.g. crypts, valisneria, etc..)

Various websites list brackish capable plants but none I've found to date discuss the specifics around conversion from FW to BW nor do many of them talk about SG levels.

Additionally, assuming plants survive at BW levels, is the upkeep/maintenance of them the same as FW?

Do you use the same nutrients?

CO2?

Iron?

I'm far from being a chemist, but would assume the salinity would cause a complete different chemical "structure" than that of FW....?

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is pretty old now but thought I'd update things.

The tank I set up was fairly successful. The windelov and java fern are now in my brackish tank and are doing ok. Nothing spectacular but they are still alive.

The ambulia went brown and mushy, its since been turfed.

I even ended up with brackish tolerable snails, but as soon as they went into the main brack tank, the puffers ate em! :o :o

The ambulia went brown and mushy, its since been turfed.

remember that there is more than salt to deal with. brackish tanks are normally rather hard and alkaline which can be a problem in itself for some plants. I reckon valisneria would be a good one to try. good to hear that you had some success, any photos?