Albino Guppies?

Nymox

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

They are growing well enough, dispite me being to busy to feed more then twice a day at the moment. Still tiny and much smaller then regular guppy fry I get, about half the size of their none red eyed siblings.

Camera still hasnt got a chance in focusing on them, but I tried anyway. Suspected Albino in black circle, to the left you can see one of its siblings and the size difference.

IMG_0381.jpg

It is awesome that you got some albinos out of a normal, do you have pictures of the parents or are they out of a mixed tank? Albinos are naturally alot weaker and slower than other fish so it might pay to separate them if you wanted to give them a good chance to get food and grow big and strong.

Parents are wild type female and red tail tux male.

IMG_0341.jpg

Thats a couple of the parents young daughters, female is just like the wild type closest to the camera. Ill move them out when I get a spare tank to some where they can have better care, at the moment they are living in a 60 ltr fish bin, but raised many guppies in there fine, will take extra care with the possible albinos though, want to get more of them in the future if I can.

Guppies now have their own tank, and will have a fry tank ready for the albinos tomorrow. Will still grow out the others in the fish bin as they are mostly pantadon food, but at least this way the albinos should get a chance. Now to grow them up and breed them :bounce:

Thanks for the help Ryan.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good!

Is there a white balance option on your new camera, it may get rid if the purple hue on you pics.

Oooh thanks Zev Ill look into that, you know far more about it then me it seems haha. I thought It was just the way it was because the lighting over the tank is purple :oops:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... a girl and a boy - well done!

See if you can find one of those clear plastic business card holders, the ones you get from the printers when you get cards done, they are good for photographing small fish in, and have a lid if you have jumpers :wink:

Hmm... a girl and a boy - well done!

See if you can find one of those clear plastic business card holders, the ones you get from the printers when you get cards done, they are good for photographing small fish in, and have a lid if you have jumpers :wink:

Aaah thats a great idea, Im sure if I search through some old boxes I have a couple some where.

I think the male might be starting to get dropsy :( I have isolated him just to be sure. On a couple of the pics I took I can see what looks to be the scales lifting near the tail. Hes pooing fine, I gave him some pea this morning.

DSCF0950.jpg

• 1 month later...

Shes in a tank with 4 other females and the albino male. Their diet is: Mealworms, Whiteworms, Daphnia (all live) and bloodworms (frozen) plus JBL Novabea

Water changes are twice weekly, 34 ltr tank with a eheim internal filter rated up to 70 ltr tanks.

Shes been raised in this tank from under half an hour old with her brother albino.