mong kok markets

repto

europe2010022.jpg

europe2010021.jpg

europe2010020.jpg

europe2010018.jpg

europe2010017.jpg

europe2010021.jpg

here are a few pics I took on a recent 2 day stop over in hongkong.Spent most a day roaming around the mong kok fish and bird markets.Was really interesting and the prices and range of stuff available would make you cry,actually so would the conditions alot of the livestock was kept in!no spca over there!!!I seemed to be too early for the major reptile stores but what i could acertain was they opened later in the afternoons and went on into the evening as the people would call in after work etc?the fish were hardcase and they were busy bagging up stock into small individual bags and pegging them onto big boards out the front where you could pick the one you want.goldfish and koi were jam packed into long shallow tanks by the thousand(literally)There were heaps of different types of baby turtles from red ears @$2 nz to mata matas,reeves,diamond backs,cogwheels,twin hinged box....you name it would have been there somewhere.This all covered 3-4 blocks with shop after shop all the same intermingled with doors that led up dingy ,dark staircases to more shops upstairs.The bird markets were also an eye opener with heaps of live food forsale quite cheap.they had little mesh bags with a handfull of grass and locusts,trays full of writhing superworms??,asian crickets.There was one bloke sitting there and his job was cutting the legs and wings off locusts which were weighed and sold to people for bird food.Can anyone recognise the birds in the pic?looks like a waxeye to me??There were cages jam packed with spice finches forsale which we would never see here?

Yea I have relatives that live on the street next to a huge fish/pet market so I go have a browse every time I visit them. What I'm most jealous of is that they can get snakes there :(. Then again not like I can ever keep one even if we had them here, my stepmum's phobic of them and I hear snakes don't fare well NZ even if we could get them. Fascinating just to see fish, reptiles, bugs and other pets you never even heard of though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...