Found This Guy Today

Tyrannosaurus

His fins look a wee bit missed up, but that's not entirely surprising as he was pretty much swimming in his own filth at the store >.<

I think he's very pretty though, just keeping my fingers crossed that those red streaks are natural red coloring and not crazy fin rot raging out of control.

redcell.jpg

very nice, good to know there are still cool colour vts out there!

and yes the red is his colouring, its called dalmation i believe

I googled the dalmatian term and you're right, that is what they call them. Or rather that's what they call the red streaked ones as far as I can see... I don't know if that's what they call red and blue streaked ones. I thought he was lovely, there was no way I was leaving him behind once I saw him :)

Yes, there are some up here atm and I had a good look to check it was the colouring and nothing else. Well done on rescuing him and with some tlc hopefully his tail will recover.

He's in a filtered tank with room to swim now, so once he gets over the shock of that, he should do quite well. :)

Does anyone know where those red / blue veil tail and crowntail standard pet store bettas come from? They're all so similar looking it's hard to believe that they're not all originating from the same source.

One of the problems is that many NZ breeders sell them a lot smaller than the imported ones so the mature ones are usually imported. It is a lot easier to do water changes on a thousand containers when labour costs are a fraction of what they would be here.

It's interesting that they import the plain / blue red ones. If you look on Aquabid, where Americans can buy bettas from Thailand, there are some truly stunning bettas out there, in a different league entirely to the plain veil tails and ct's you see in our stores. I'm just confused as to why, if people are importing them, they're not importing a higher standard.

These are just a couple I picked off Aqua Bid completely at random, and they're a million miles better than anything you see in our pet stores:

2901955110103767469S600x600Q85.jpg

2664766250103767469S600x600Q85.jpg

Flash fighters and guppies are the same. They cost more to buy overseas and people are not prepared to import them because most people just want a fighter or a guppy. Many importers are not importing guppies because they lose a lot.

From what I understand a lot of fighters don't make it through the quarantine process either.

Overseas solid single coloured quality fighters are popular. Here in NZ, less so, and the market is pretty small and very changeable, so it is hard to predict what people want.