Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

My discus food recipe: feedback please

Featured Replies

  • Author

well msot of my diet is a mixture of hikari discus bio gold, specifically formulated for discus and tetra colour bits. so out of the pellet intake, i would say 80% hikari, 20% tetra so they dont get too red artifically.

then discus tucker 2 to 3time a week.

the discus tucker contains prawns, veges, garlic, beef heart.

i was thinking of making my own, i find lately discus tucker has had much fat in it...maybe just my batch.

but i am now reconsidering, a blend of beef heart, prawns (raw) and liver. not too much liver, but a blend. plus in there add some veges like peas.

what other veges can i put in there?

or shall i just stick to discus tucker and not make my own?

i guess discus tucker is pretty good, popular too.

alot of breeders use discus tucker.

i guess i like the idea of making my own!

so i know what goes into it.

  • Author

what do you think of this mix??:

as a trial only. rations will remain roughly the same.

my thing here is to ensure that there is a huge range of vits, proteins, fats and trace in it.

also going on over seas opinions of what they do.

400g beef heart

150g Beef Liver

250g Raw prawns

(please give me veges to put in: peas, courgettes, parsley?)

1/4 cup of discus bio gold

1/4 cup of massivore:D (gotta have that in there)

1/2 of blended mealworms

minced very finely

rolled into glad wrap like a sausage so i jsut open one end and use a cheese grater. re wrap:D

ow does the above sound?

has a good ratio of beef heart, not too much liver, good ration of shrimp.

Should i add bloodworms?

the above is not a staple, i decided against too much meat.

i would probably say the discus diet will be 70% pellets, the rest is beef mix.

That is probably a good mix, (although I haven't done the calculations so can't tell you for sure what the phosphorus levels are) I would be inclined to use a lower ratio of liver, but that is just me. Go ahead and use varied vegetables, any kind really. The ones that I would tend to move away from (or use only in small amounts) are spinach and rhubarb since they have a high abundance of calcium oxalates. If you do use shrimp, use the whole thing, head and all. I personally used to use a lot of insect larvae for my discus.

  • Author

so mealworms is a good thing?

veges, what is a good one to use?

peas i was told is good.

parsley? discus tucker has parsley i believe, can anyone confirm that?

Personally, I agree wholeheartedly with P44 on this one. I feed a variety of flake/freeze dried/granules/sinking tablets, of both types of food intended for herbivorous and carnivorous fish. I do feed my discus a couple of times a week a treat of frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, however, I'm not sure if it is a treat for me or for the fish. I feel this approach gives a balanced nutrition to avoid all sorts of issues including Hole-in-the-head.

While it might be rewarding and stimulating to create your own secret recipe, it is safer and definitely easier to use pre-prepared foods. Also recall reading that too much protein is not too good for discus (much like in dogs I suppose).

The other thing I like is that the majority of prepared foods have a good nutritional analysis attached to them. Unless you have the skills that JenniferH obviously possesses, your home grown preparation is but a stab in the dark (albeit maybe a reasonably well informed stab!).

My $0.02 worth.

I used to add multivites and carrot and broccoli (not spinch tho) and heaps of garlic

also why grate

when it is a paste free flow it in small lumps or ice cubes then just pop one in the tank

easy as

I believe garlic helps prevent worms.

I use Squid bells, you can buy them frozen and add them to the beef heart.

Also don't use king prawns, discus prefer the softer/sweeter small shrimps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.