Vallisneria - how do I get it to thrive?

JazzyJeff

:roll: Vallisneria - how do I get it to thrive? I have had it in my tank for about 2 weeks and it seems to be going yellow then melting away ... i read that it doesn't like Flourish excel - is there something else I can be offering it? I do have liquid ferts and JBL Balls - does anyone have some successful experiences with this that can offer me some good advice?

Thanks in advance

what sort of lights?

Lighting is pretty standard - I have this growing in a AR380 which has a trop/sunlight mix bulb - other plants ie cabomba, ambulia, indian fern, dwarf sag, riccia, hygrophillia poly, xmas moss have all grown well in it before.

Steps for growing val:

Plant. give plenty of space between plants (like 3'' radius)

leave and walk away for a month.

:)

To be honest everytime ive tried growing val, it hasnt done to well. everytime ive just thrown a load in a tank for the hell of it, its gone nuts :lol:

Steps for growing val:

Plant. give plenty of space between plants (like 3'' radius)

leave and walk away for a month.

:)

To be honest everytime ive tried growing val, it hasnt done to well. everytime ive just thrown a load in a tank for the hell of it, its gone nuts :lol:

I agree. I find that it does better when you let it grow where IT wants to grow. I originally planted it at the back of my tank, its slowly made its way to the front and the stuff that was at the back has died off. So I've just left it to it and its now spreading around the right hand side of the tank. Also noticed that it did a lot better after I got new lights for my AR850. I sporadically dose with ferts. Not sure what it is but I know its not Flourish Excel.

Thanks for the advice - I went and got a whole lotta new plants today, done a big change around on the other tanks. I have been looking at other threads with very cool planted tanks... P44 your tank is AMAZING! I couldn't find any of the pinkish plant that you have but will keep an eye out for it, I love it!

Think I might shout myself to a new light bulb for the tank - it must be due for one I have had this tank for about a year now.

o.0

what red/pink plant? :o

I have lots of red plants :D

I've never really grown val in a tank. mostly outdoors.

Sorrry - the thread "Rotala rotundifolia" is what I was referring to - I did have some R. Macandra at one stage but I wasn't able to get it to grow nicely so chucked it out. If I can find some again I would like to give it another try.

At the moment the straight varieties--V. gigantea, americana and spiralis are prohibited organisms and the others are not. I am told by people at the Regional Council that they would like to ban all Valliseria sp. as well as Sagittaria subulata as they can all be invasive, but at the moment they are legal.