Aarons First Marine setup Journal – Lots of PHOTOS

ar-photography

Hey guys a quick introduction I’m new to Marine but thought I would give it a shot as its a great step after having tropical fish for years and years.

I still can’t part with my 400ltr Tropical tank as I have some of my favorite fish in there Blood Parrots, Arowana, Fire eels, knifes etc :bounce:

And is starts.. First Marine setup Journal

My plan is to start off with a FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) setup to get a good understanding of how it all works before stepping into a lot of corals and anemones

I managed to pick up a great deal for an 180ltr tank with overflow and a 70ltr wet dry sump + 2500ltr/hour return pump.

The setup also came with an Aqua one 900mm double tube Light and a nice powerful heater. Of course when you get a bargen there is a few down sides in my case the Glass does have a lot of fine scratches :cry: but hey have to start somewhere. (Ideas on a glass buffer ??) :wink:

I set everything up and did the first step such as a leak and level test, as well as checking all the components are doing their job. I left everything running including heater and lights for 24hours so far so good. :D

Full Setup during leak test

mg2392custom.jpg

Aqua One lights (Bulbs to be upgraded)

mg2397custom.jpg

Overflow

mg2404custom.jpg

Return pipe

mg2393custom.jpg

Sump (sump is getting modified with some baffles installed and a refuge area)

mg2401custom.jpg

Wet dry filter (Top layer is a Japanese wool and second layer of Bio Balls)

mg2402custom.jpg

pH test kit and Saporax

mg2405custom.jpg

All comments ideas and tips will be much appreciated I will have regular updates of how things are going as well as a photo Journal of every upgrade and modification to the setup.

Next on my list is getting a full API water tester kit which comes with Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Carbonate hardness and pH testers. As well as a Hydromiter.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this works in marine and I am sure some one can tell you but I run a layer of filter wool or fine dacron on top of the green matting to help collect particulate in the water prior to it hitting the wet/dry area and when I do a water change I just replace it or wash it out.

Not sure if it will help in marine set ups tho

HTH

Nav

Not sure if this works in marine and I am sure some one can tell you but I run a layer of filter wool or fine dacron on top of the green matting to help collect particulate in the water prior to it hitting the wet/dry area and when I do a water change I just replace it or wash it out.

Not sure if it will help in marine set ups tho

HTH

Nav

Hey Navarre thanks for that yes I am going to be getting 2 other grades of filter sponge/filter for the wet dry part of my sump. I’m just waiting for my sump to be modified to see how the new layout all works.

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated, the tank stand is getting a nice upgrade so no need to worry. :P

Between all the legs is going varnished 24mm ply with steel brackets.

The top is getting a second 24mm ply sheet with new polystyrene. (Tank itself has 10mm glass with middle reinforcing plates)

And the font is getting a pair of nice snug doors.

Photos will be added once things get done. Tank stand should be this weekend and sump will be next week... I’ll keep you posted. :bounce:

Question: Where is the best place to get live rock from at an ok price haha i understand its not cheap.

I got a bit done this long weekend the tank stand is now nicely reinforced and i think looks great. All that is needed now is some door handles and a splash of varnish.

Front

mg2418custom.jpg

Back

mg2417custom.jpg

Also here is the plan for my newly designed Sump and Refugium (Real pictures and leak test to come Wednesday)

sumpcustom.jpg

Almost ready to get the cycle underway…

I love getting courier packages.

Woke up this morning to my Refractometer with ATC :bounce: as well as my API Marine master test kit and another package with some Nice Gutter Guard from Hollywood fish farm. :clap:

And on my lunch brake today i finally get to pick up my Sump and Refuge :gaaah: 2 weeks Later after being told 3 day

Anyway ill look forward to posting some picture up tonight or tomorrow of all the new toys.

Not to mention im on track to start my cycle period early next week :o:hail:

I love getting courier packages.

Woke up this morning to my Refractometer with ATC :bounce: as well as my API Marine master test kit and another package with some Nice Gutter Guard from Hollywood fish farm. :clap:

And on my lunch brake today i finally get to pick up my Sump and Refuge :gaaah: 2 weeks Later after being told 3 day

Anyway ill look forward to posting some picture up tonight or tomorrow of all the new toys.

Not to mention im on track to start my cycle period early next week :o:hail:

:bounce: :bounce: I love getting stuff in the mail! Atm im waiting on brine shrimp eggs and live microworms haha :bounce: :bounce:

update with photos to come

I have just siliconed in my new Overflow guard I got from H.H.F ha-ha looking good and I think will do the trick just nicely.

Sump and Refuge was picked up from W.O.W on Wednesday and has now been setup and leak tested a small pin hole leak was in the corner or the Refuge nothing major so dropped some Silicon into that and all works really nicely.

Im begining to love hydraulics and hydrology good fun playing with the plumbing.

Also wired up my in cupboard light this is not the Refuge light but is a working / maintenance light for when I’m poking around in the sump area.

Here is a shot of the Sump during the leak testing. :hail:

mg2650.jpg

How my setup works. :bounce:

Water comes from the over flow through the Green geotextile -> saporax -> Green geotextile -> polishing cloth -> under the baffle (this area will have some live rock) -> into main sump which will hold the skimmer and return pump. the return pump also T's off to slowly fill the refuge area which then overflows back to the sump again. :lol:

And a few other goodies that came in the post 8)

Test Kit

mg2692l.jpg

Refractometer

mg2694.jpg

Well it all begins I now have my tank up and Cycling been going for 2 days now. Tank was filled with 25kg of DRY rock in the main tank and about 5kgs in the Sump/Refuge

I filled a Drum with RO/DI water then added 60!! Scoops of Aqua One salt with water conditioner, I let it dissolve in the drum with heater and power head, Before filling the tank and the sump to running level.

My refuge has a deep sand bed of 50mm (let me know if you think I should go deeper.) with some seaweed (Need to ask what its real name is) at the moment I am going to be getting some other types of seaweed “When I can find some local or online”

On the morning of day 2(Today) I did the salinity and pH tests to see how thing got on during setup overnight. The below are the results I got.

pH: 8.0

Salinity: 1.024

Is this about where I want it to be?

On day 3 onwards I’m going to start checking for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates I will post pictures every 5 days of the algae etc.

My refuge has a deep sand bed of 50mm (let me know if you think I should go deeper.) with some seaweed (Need to ask what its real name is) at the moment I am going to be getting some other types of seaweed “When I can find some local or online”

from here http://www.reefkeepers.co.nz/forum/view ... f=20&t=538

a good read and full of info on DSB

The larger the surface area the more effective the sand bed will be, keeping in mind that we need to also achieve an anaerobic zone. To do this we will need to have our sand bed at least 4 inches deep, this is a bare minimum and recommend going for at least 6 for effective nitrate removal. There are a couple of university studies around that find no extra benefit going deeper than 8 inches, as bioturbation doesn’t occur.