show me your multiple tank stand

smidey

i am moving to a new place in a few weeks that has alot of garage space so the only thing to do is get more tanks to justify the space :lol:

what have you done for stacking tanks above each other? i plan to build some out of treated framing timber & want to see some that were already being used to get some ideas of what to & what not to do.

If you got the space (and probably time & money) this link might give you some ideas :)

Wow, and all tanks on sponge filters - I liked this bit:

I have installed a drip system w/metering restrictors and timer...... I change out 10-15% of each tanks water daily without lifting a finger !!!!!

So that three tanks side by side, Just build a good solid bench out of 100x50 treated timber.

nah i want to stack them so as my hobby expands another bank can be easily added without need many metres of wall length. got to think of future expansion & the space car projects take :wink:

I don't think with a standard ceiling height you will be able to stack 3 4x2x2 tanks with enough access to get in and out of them, I mean you are looking at 1.8 in height without taking into account the timber (add another .3) then access into the tanks (add at least 600 probably more) you are then looking at a stand that stands 2.7 tall..

yeah good point but the stud height is over 3m with a raking ceiling so not any issue & the frame would only be up to the bottom of the top tank which would also be a storage shelf if no tank on it & i already have a step ladder.

this is a classic mistake in kitchens. making cabinets too large to get into the room, corner pantry cabs in particular. :lol:

With tanks that size stacked up, I would be building the stand out of steel.

Looking at the weight factor each tank set up would weigh about 500kg.

Top tank would have it's base at about 1800mm high, long way up, would need to strap it to the wall for stability.

I can imagine having 3 2' high tanks stacked vertically would be a right PITA, even with the bottom of the tank on the ground the top of the top tank is going to be about 8' high, and that will only give you around 20cm to get into the lower tanks if you're using 100x50 timber for the framing. Is there any reason you need the extra height? Could you get away with a 4x2' footprint and 15" or 18" height?

IMO going for 18" height and only stacking them two-high would be the way to go. Bending over and climbing ladders to do water changes will get pretty tiresome pretty quickly.

i will stick with the 4x2x2 as it is a good size for a single group of trophs, i already have one tank that is 48x20x20 & its good but slightly bigger would be ideal. i'll decide when i make the stand wether i'll use the top as a shelf or put a tank on it. i liked the idea of 3 stack as i would only need to make one stand as 3 tanks for 3 troph species is all that is required at the moment. this would also leave me with my other 200L tank for grow outs etc.

with three large tanks it gives me the chance to have all the trophs separately. i have a couple of 2 footers already for fry/juvies then the 200L can be for the larger juvies. that's all i will need for a while until i want to get another troph specie. the only real concern is keeping pemba & moliro fry separate as they are similar but not indentical but in saying that they become different looking at around 3 to 4cm so not that much of an issue.

if i add two more 4 footers i will be sweet for ages basically.

Sounds like a plan then. If you've got the space IMO you might as well have the 3 4x2x2's in a row rather than stacked vertically, low tanks and high tanks are a real PITA to work on.

BTW the word "species" is both plural and singular, there is no such thing as "specie".

[pet hate, sorry for being a picky bugger!]