CO2 set up materials

Vervo

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 740151.htm

has anyone used this type before?

is it worth it??

I am new to CO2 system... just gathering materials for now.

I have read some of the articles, some DIY CO2 systems uses 2 bottles instead of 1, does that replace the glass bubble counter like this one here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 290775505??

I also would like to use cheap pressurised CO2 bottles, but seen a bit more expensive.

And is it best not to mix baking soda in for the DIY ones?

best regards.

Baking Soda helps get more life out of your DIY CO2 mix. I use it and I get well over 3 weeks of CO2 from a 1.5 ltr bottle.

The baking soda helps the yeast deal with the alcohol, so they dont die off so quickly. Ill add my mixture incase its usefull to anyone, 3 weeks is pretty good im guessing.

2 cups of castor sugar

1/2 a cup of brown sugar (can use castor but I find brown is what the yeast is still feeding on in the 3rd week)

about 3 healthy pinches on yeast, make sure to get 100% active yeast, not brewers yeast or bread mix yeast. They work but not as effectively.

1 pinch of baking soda. not much but it makes a difference.

1 ltr of luke warm water.

Mix the sugar and water out of the bottle to make sure that the sugar has completely disolved. Empty into a bottle, then add the baking soda and yeast. Give it a wee shake but not too much.

I get this bubbling at about 1bps within 6 hours, tempreture depending. I put the bottle on top of my all in one tank and it gets heat off the light, at night without the heat the CO2 production dies down to just about nothing. Because its getting colder I've also wrapped the bottle in an old woolen jumper, any insulation will do though.

HTH

Will dry ice work? not putting in the tank of course.

I know there are heaps posts about this already, but I don't want to invade other people's threads, :oops:

Probably would, if you like doing things the most difficult and expensive way...

Everyones probably sick of this question but still, Where can I get a co2 bottle in Christchurch? I've tried Asco as recommended but they have apparently split up the business to one part being only offices and the other I take it is still the same as previously (refilling and renting bottles etc), but they "do not sell them" anymore, they asked if they had any old ones outback but "no".

Anyone know? I heard smith city has them but I would guess they are very expensive.

Then thats what I shall do, I found an old post that people got them (5-8kg) from somewhere (Auckland) for $200 all up.

I'd be prepared to do that if I can find it in CHCH somewhere...

Back on topic. WHERE IN CHCH?

Have you tried a welding supplies shop? They use Co2 gas bottles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oops, bad move I reckon. That'll be running out in a month or so time and you'll spend a fortune on refills. Shoulda saved the extra money and got a conventional reg from ebay + a CO2 bottle, and it would last about 8 months. Anyway let us know how it goes.

Everyones probably sick of this question but still, Where can I get a co2 bottle in Christchurch? I've tried Asco as recommended but they have apparently split up the business to one part being only offices and the other I take it is still the same as previously (refilling and renting bottles etc), but they "do not sell them" anymore, they asked if they had any old ones outback but "no".

Anyone know? I heard smith city has them but I would guess they are very expensive.

Hey Dennis,

this has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but Soda Stream bottles will do the trick, cheaply. The only problem is they won't last as long as a 4kg cylinder. But, you could buy two of them so having one on while filling the other. Still need a regulator though. I bought a JBL CO2 kit years ago but couldn't adjust the needle valve easily - too much or too little, I bought a 2nd hand reg from a guy at Asco (and a 4kg cylinder from him as well) and that did the trick.

cheers

I upgraded my CO2 bottle recently to a 6.8kg, brand new one; it cost me $450 (filled). But as least I was able to get hold of one locally in Dunedin.

Cylinder1.jpg

I see no reason to hold on to my old (1.8kg) one now that I have a bigger one so I would be prepared to sell if if you're interested? It's tested and in date; middle bottle in this pic...

Cylinders.jpg