November 29, 200421 yr comment_30700 Hi, Anyone out there able to tell what sort of silicon to use on my tank and if there`s any differents in the ones from a hardware shop Thanks Report
November 29, 200421 yr comment_30703 The best type I have found.. is the Silaflex RTV Professional Range by Fosroc. It's available at most hardware stores at around $13:55 a cartridge. This sealer is ideal for the job, and is completely safe for aquarium use, so I wouldn't consider any others. Bill. Report
November 29, 200421 yr Author comment_30705 Thankyou Bill, I just brought this tank secondhand filled it up and found out that it leaked ( all over my carpet ). It would have saved a lot of hassles if the people had told me it had a leak or it might still have one, that way I would have filled it outside first. Cheers Jean Report
November 29, 200421 yr comment_30709 Gizzy, it depends on the leak. You may have to dismantle you tank and start again. Always put you glue on the water side of the leak. If it's a crack, glue a patch over it. If it is a crack, make sure it has run all it is going to, cause if it hasn't, guess what? it'll wait till it's loaded, and it'll leak again. Make sure all the old glue is cut out from the area you wish to repair, not the glue in the joint, the beading. The glue you use must smell of a strong vinegar smell, enuff to make you wince. Dont breathe this in as it is hazardous to your health. Work out doors if possible. Bill is bound to have the right stuff tho. Alan 104 Report
November 29, 200421 yr Author comment_30710 Hi Alan, I found a chip on the bottom of the tank looks as though someone tryed to fix it before but left the chipped bit of glass still in the repair, I have removed this so will give a repair job ago. Gizzy Report
November 29, 200421 yr comment_30725 The silicone mentioned above will seal UNDERWATER... Just thoroughly clean the area where the leak is and remove any "obviously" loose silicone... then put some water in the tank until you see a flow from the leak. Then place a small amount of silicone on your finger and seal the leak from the INSIDE by forcing it into the leaking area. Works a treat, and if done correctly will give you no more probs.. Bill. Report
November 29, 200421 yr comment_30727 There also another one you can use which is put out by Holdfast and is called 202 Clear and this literally is clear as glass when it is cured instead of the milky white the others go :lol: B Report
November 29, 200421 yr Author comment_30731 Thanx heaps Guys, I will have ago in the weekend I start back at work tomorow after 6 weeks holidays, not looking forward to it but love the $$ which means more fish . Gizzy Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.