how can I tell what sex my baby guppies are

MorknMindy

Well I don’t know when it happened but today when I was about to do the gravel vac and water change something little moved and caught my eye it was a baby guppy :D when I looked more closely I saw two :o they were so tiny about 3mm long. Now I have already decided that I will let nature take its coarse and if any thing lives then it’s a bonus but I was just wondering if someone could tell me how to work out what sex they are. They are so tiny at the moment it is hard to see their fins and they are almost transparent in colour but both have female looking tails lol.

You can actually sex them a lot earlier than the last two posts suggest.

The males have silver tummies the females have a dark spot that will later be refered to as the "gravid spot".

This can be normally done at a week or so, old.

Don't believe me??

Try it then.

Alan 104

yeah theres a way of doing it, i used to use and found it quite affective :

get a big sheet of black paper the size of your tank, then put it on the back of ur tank/s with a hole cut out, in that hole have a bulb, torch or light of some sought shining into the tank, as the fry swim past it, they can easily be identified, any fish without a little black spot above there anal fin is a male, any that do are females, the older they get the easier it is to identify. easy peasy :wink:

Shae 250