Plant ID

DennisP

Back to the topic of freshwest's tank... Can anybody tell me the name of the light green plant on the bottom right of the picture? (the one that appears at the top of the screen... The "banner")

The one directly infront of the cobalt discus...

Thankyouuu..

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, the sag has always been like that, admittedly this is really the first chance it has had to really grow, as in my old tank the light was crap and lately I've still been moving them around. But that is how it has always looked.

You have it planted too deep, the crown should be at the surface so that only the roots are covered. It looks like you have low light, a tall tank or would be better off with a different type of light. Sag. grows OK in one of my tanks which is 500mm high and only two 3ft T8s on a 4ft tank. I have had it grow successfully with lumiflor and cool white, growlux and cool white and presently growlux and daylight.

What sort of light are you using? Height of tank, age of lights, type of lights, K rating of lights and hours on?

There are a number of Echinodorus sp. that look similar wether grown submersed or emersed. Each plant can also vary depending on the light conditions. I have been growing them in natural light emersed in the glasshouse over summer and have just brought them inside under artificial light and the leaf structure is now completely different. Some are easy to identify like ozelot, uraguayensis etc but there are a number that have pinkish new growth that turns green, particularly if it is not strong light.

I have some sort of sagittaria that I got from Caryl. It was only a wee bit, but it has spread like crazy! Recently it flowered under water. My tank is 50cm high and I use DIY CO2 injection. My lighting is:

1x 90cm Aqua Glo-18,000k - positioned in the middle.

90cm tube of some sort (it came with my new lightinghood)-15,000k - positioned at the back.

76cm Aqua One sunlight tube at the front for viewing-the other tubes on their own look quite pink.

Tank is the 240L juwel rio, so 2 x t5 HO, I THINK its 50cm tall, no idea on K rating, and those really deep ones are new plantlets. Should Hopefully get a gas can this week for pressurized co2.

Edit: lights on for 10hrs. (on a timer)