IMPORTING LOTUS SEEDS?

A-town...

The lotus seeds being sold on TM are the true lotus Nelumbo nucifera and is allowed to be imported as dry seeds.

they are not the Tiger Lotus which are Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri' which are also allowed but rarely available due to the seeds needing to be wet when stored.

I bought some lotus seeds on ebay a few years ago, The pink and white one (Nelumbo nucifera) were let through by MAF but the yellow (Nelumbo Lutea) american ones were not as it is banned (I did not know that at the time, honestly!) All germinated after scoring the outer case and leaving in water

If the seeds are on the allowable list they can be imported ,but you do need phytosanitary certification.

If the paperwork does not accompany the seeds you will be given a couple of weeks to obtain it or they are destroyed.

We tried with Japanese White Pine seeds for Brendon's bonsai obsession, but the seller never got the paperwork through on time and the seeds were destroyed.

yes I was looking at the Nelumbo Nucifera species.

So I would have to contact the seller direst and ask if they can make up a phytosanitary certification of there plants?

Would I have to contact MAF before purchasing them and tell them what Im getting where they coming from ect?

Interesting just found this on one of the sellers listings

* People in Australia and New Zealand will have the discount $5 because these 2 countries don’t need the document to import seeds but need some special request from the custom and I can follow all the custom need and I have no problem to send to these 2 countries please do not make immediately payment, please contact for the discount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-MIXED-LOTUS-SEED ... 58873e0db3