showing Killis

Barrie

Now is the time that those interested in showing their killis at next years show (April next year) should be solecting their larger type killis and seperating them from other males.

Killis like larger Fundulopanchax should be in a darker tank with a couple of females and enough food to make sure that they dont nip at tails.

The darker (note darker not dark) tank will help the natural colours develop in the males so when they are shown, the colours will be brighter.

With the male being only with a couple of females will reduce fighting and keep the finnage in good order. Being the only male will allow him to get first choice of food and allow him to grow to a good size.

Fundulopanchax will live for over 3 years like this so you should get at least 2 shows from him plus a lot of nice fry as the years go by.

Annuals should be sorted out in about a month as they grow quicker and live for a little bit less.

Again they need to be put with a few females and no other males so that they do not get damaged. This is not the better way of breeding but is best for getting larger males in good nick. (The better way of breeding is a few males to several females and 2 peat pots)

11 months to go so get thinking now!

Ummm... I was pressed for tank space to put my bitaeniatum after the show, so they were put in the same tank - Barrie will not be impressed, as he commented on their flowing finnage. Anway. the boys have managed to beat the snot out of eachother and their fins have suffered drastically - especially in the tail department... :oops:

They will need to be separated well before the next show so that they have a chance to grow them back.

I happen to know that there are quite a few small tanks upstairs that would be just right for a trio of Bits or Rockets. Im sure that the Aquarium would be happy for you to use them

The finnage on those Bits was far better than I have ever seen before

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I happen to know that there are quite a few small tanks upstairs that would be just right for a trio of Bits or Rockets. Im sure that the Aquarium would be happy for you to use them

The finnage on those Bits was far better than I have ever seen before

I have enough spare tanks laying around the house as it is without bringing any more home, thank you very much Barrie. It's heaters that are the problem, but not to worry, will have a guppy clean up soon, that will free up two tanks. Nothing emerged from the plants that were in the scheeli tank, so that one is free as well. I will put Mr Bit in there to keep him away from the others.

We are going to have a judging school at the next killie show as well, so if anyone wants to become a Federation judge (and not just for killies, either, but you can specify a preference), they will have to be nominated by their club, accept the nomination and send it to the Exec. There is a form somewhere, I will see if I can dig it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep the killis in darker surroundings as this seems to bring out brighter colours.

A week before the show, move them to lighter conditions so that they get used to bright surroundings and movement by people moving past often. This way when they are in the show tanks, they tend to sulk less and will show off nicely