I Do NOT believe it!

Zev

We didn't have a TV when I was a child and we played cards and Monopoly a lot (along with snakes and ladders, dominoes, checkers and battle ships). Some of our Monopoly games would last all week.

When older we played quiz games (similar to the quiz night games at pubs these days), Scrabble, Upwords and Trivial Pursuit.

My daughter plays board games with her step children.

We had a whole farm to run around in and our own creek to fall into :lol:

You were allowed to climb trees, almost drown when your homemade canoes sank, ride bikes downhill without helmets, have fights with slingshots, make brake-free go-karts, and all the fun stuff in the olde days :wink:

When I was a child (not too long ago) I built a trolley, tree-hut in the bush, caught eels, rode bikes and scavenged in the inorganic "rubbish". No, I don't live on a farm. I live in suburbia and these things were much more fun than video games.

Our family has a history of playing crib, 500, euchre, dominoes (using a double 12 set) - whenever particular aunts or uncles visited this would be the after dinner activity.

We tried the board game ludo for awhile but mum gets way too competitive (almost scary) - apparently it's a deep seated resentment of her mum and sister ganging up on her in ludo when she was a kid.

More recently we've played Stonewall - again mum gets a bit enthusiastic - it's amusing watching her decide if she will move closer to her winning spot or go out of her way to stomp on another player to send them home - usually the stomp option wins out.

There was the usual stuff for farm kids as well - building dams in the stream, eeling, just general exploring the farm (which for me often results in turning up back at the house with a supply of field mushrooms or blackberries which mum was then expected to do something with - my dad never complained about having to eat blackberry and apple pie though), riding bikes, building huts etc.

pass the pigs

oh that's a great game!

and Billionaire if your ears can take it because people get very excitable and loud !

when I was young I went fishing, lizarding, eeling, bike riding and swimming.

My two when they were preteens did outdoorsy stuff but as time goes on .. not so much. We have family game nights where the board games come out but it's otherwise hard to get them away from the pull of a screen.

We played Ludo and Pass the Pigs too! I side with your mum Rob, I get competitive in Ludo too :lol:

No point in playing if you don't play to win. This stupid "It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" is stupid. Games are meant to be competitive and it is more fun to win after doing your best against others doing their best as well.

Hopscotch, elastics and skipping were popular outdoor games when I was a young lass. And the ball game Sevens (played solo).

We were allowed to play Bullrush in those days too :wink:

I side with your mum Rob, I get competitive in Ludo too :lol:

No point in playing if you don't play to win.

I totally agree Caryl - was just a bit of an eye opener to us kids that our quite placid mother adopted a "take no prisoners, they'll never take me alive, man the canons, once more unto the breach" approach.