BOTH my electric blue rams AND my German blue rams spawned!

Aquila

Who needs Easter eggs when you can get a 2 spawns of fish eggs!?!?

I noticed last night that my GB ram pair were preparing the rock so I got out my camera and grabbed some cute shots! The first one is of the wrigglers that I got from the 1st batch!

Here is the link to the vid I took as well :)

2537316070033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

This is their 3rd spawn since I bought them. They paired off right from the start and it wasn't long since the female filled with eggs. The first batch was laid on gravel and then kinda abandoned so i scooped up as many of the eggs as i could, and then I accidentally killed the remaining wrigglers that hatched. The 2nd batch lasted longer with them but when the male stated munching, I removed the rest...managed to get a good hatch rate from the 20 saved eggs, but only 5 made it past the wriggler stage (still currently alive and eating decap and micro worms). This 3rd batch were well guarded and the male was doing better at 'cleaning' the eggs but i want to try and raise the lot to get a head start so i will let them have the next one :P

2421834120033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

2176634190033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

2532857770033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

THEN>>>

I went upstairs to the other tank to see if just maybe my electric blue rams have finally spawned and I found a HUGE patch of them on the rock!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I couldn't get any good pics of the parents with the eggs because they laid at the back of a rock under some java moss and the tank lights are somewhat subdued with tannins in the water. But I did manage to take a few pics a couple nights before when I thought the female looked particularly swollen with eggs :D

The eggs are now safe in a separate tank but unfortunately i've had to mix them in with the other GB ram eggs so hopefully it will be possible to tell the young apart once they start getting some colour (if I can get it that far).

2588027410033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

2198631260033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

2672997320033337904S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So this first batch of eggs went fungasy...not sure why as there was meth blue in the tank.

But i've got another batch from the electric blues at the moment which are due to hatch tomorrow so we'll see how i do!

Any tips on increasing survivorship of the wrigglers? I do pretty good raising regular blue ram fry after they grow mouths but seem to have a lot die off when they are still wriggling around on the bottom :(

Holy cow!

My electric blue rams eggs hatched this afternoon! I so far counted over 60 wrigglers!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AND guess what?

My German blue rams are laying another batch RIGHT NOW! I'm am hopefully going to be overrun with ram fry very soon :lol:

PLUS... today I bought a pair (i think) of long-finned blue rams :) Hopefully I can get these to spawn for me too, but if they don't pair off then I have a spare electric blue male that i can try to pair off with the 'female'.

I have been blessed by the fish gods these last 2 months!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Electric blue rams have laid another batch of eggs last night :)

Their first batch are now free swimming and the fry are eating decap and whiteworms well! Have also found at least 2 longfin leopard danio fry (i think) in with the ram fry...they must have been integrated when i added the java moss from the other tank!

Thanks caryl and pheonix! I have never bred rams before so its a new challange to keep me occupied. I absoultely love the fry, you can see their little ram personalities come through almost as soon as they are free swimming. Very inquisitive little things :P

Well done to you all

my EB rams

get them to wrigglers then they disapear

would be greatfull of any tips

Navarre

I am still learning myself, and it was a bit of a rough start where i was losing most of my wrigglers but this is what works for me (at least at the moment...technique still needs to be perfected to get a better survival i think):

-eggs (on rock) get moved into a ~6L tank with a 25W heater and airtstone situated really really close to eggs (because its not particularly strong) so that there is enough water movement. Quick air exposure during move doesn't seem to affect egg hatching...water in little tank is from parent's tank. Make sure you don't take eggs too soon before the male gets a chance to fertilize them all.

-meth blue is added as per instruction on bottle, but for the next 1-3 days after (until wrigglers are a bit more active), i add 1 more drop per day to keep colour strong

-temp set at 30C, do not allow to get any higher....32 killed all my wrigglers the first time :( (30C is also the temp of the parents tank)

-once wrigglers hatch, try to just let them be, remove rock and also pipette out any material/egg casings from the bottom that look like they maybe going fungusy, i do not do any water changes yet. i found that my electric blue ram wrigglers are WAY more active then blue ram wrigglers from the moment they hatch... will have to research this further :P

-as wrigglers grow, i start to gently pipette the bottom and remove any that may have died and just create a little movement so fungus doesn't build up anywhere the wrigglers are crowded....really its just me fiddling with them cause they are so cute - i stop adding the 1 drop of meth blue per day at this stage

-once free-swimming, i do a little water change (15%) using water from their parents tank and add ALOT of java moss into the tank...

-i wait till they are a few days older (a little bit better swimmers) and add a bit of infusoria and also some microworms. Once i think i added the food too early and a lot of fry died the next day...maybe some of the critters attacked them?

-when they look like they are big enough to eat decap, a few days later, i start adding that. Remember to pre-soak it!

-i don't do water changes every day, but i am also careful not to over-feed too much. I found before when i was trying to keep the water really pristene with daily 30-50% water changes more fry died...they seem to be more sensitive to water change then a bit of debris build up. Plus its hard not to suck them up when cleaning the bottom, and if you do this too often, they can get stunned and die from injury (especially if you do it when they are still wrigglers...yoke sacs can easily rip)

- i do a 15-20% water change every ~3 days, siphoning up any gunk. Inevitably i do suck up some fry but that is why i collect the water in a large white bowl so i can see them and pipette them back into the tank.

- once they are big enough not to fit through the spaces/net of a breeding trap, i move them into the parents tank, with java moss in the trap and do 50% water changes every 2 days (because i also have juvi discus in this tank). I feed them mostly decap 2-3 times a day with microworms every couple days

After this, it is still uncharted waters for me! I hope I can get a lot to survive into juvi stage! Will post pics as soon as i can!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply! (been kinda busy and sick)

My rams have halted at breeding at the moment for some reason. The males and females still like eachother so i'm not really sure what's going on. The regular blue ram female was pretty full with what i thought to be eggs, but then she just 'lost' them overnight? She may have dropped them. Previous to that she had a weird little white worm on her pectoral fin, which i 'surgically removed' and then treated with garlic and salt. She appears to be full healthy now so hopefully they lay again soon.

My electric blue rams have also paused the spawning at the moment, probably because i added a couple extra rems to the same tank. I will have to shuffle things around this weekend and hopefully their attempts will begin again!

Unfortunately since i only recently got the hang of raising ram fry succesfully i only have a few 1cm babes left. But I promise, when i get the next spawn I will be MUCH better at raising them because i realized what i was doing wrong before. Will keep you guys updated!

how are your baby rams getting on Aquila/Milena?

Our tank would love a couple if you have some available :)

• 5 months later...

I find that aeration is important. Some people have success raising them from eggs in a 40L tank, but I hatch my eggs out in a 2L bottle with methalyne blue and an airstone. I transfer the fry into a 10L tank with sponge filter only once the fry are free-swimming and feed as often as i can (its easier for the fry to find the food in a smaller tank). I start on whiteworms and switch to live bbs.

Hi Milena, could you give me some tips/ let me know what you did wrong ?

My blue rams are spawning now and I am keen to try to raise some. :D Ive set up a small tank half full with some water from the parents tank and I'll try removing the eggs when they've finished.

Thanks