My tank

trav

Hi i am not to happy wid my tank set up I have posted pics of it on other posts will post some pics later but u can see my other posts please can I have some advice I am going to get 25kg more of my red grit wat else should I do??????????

hey guys sorry i did not upload pics sooner here are latest i am wanting to change it as i am not to happy with the set up i am pritty much open to any ideas please just tell me and if you have an idea please state if you got the stuff i can buy if you do have it for sale thanks :D

here are some pics

CIMG3575.jpg

CIMG3578.jpg

CIMG3573.jpg

i am just kinda not happy with the look i will soon have about $300 and then i am going to prob get another 25kgs of my gravel because my plabts keep being pulled out and i am kinda just wanting a tank that i can walk past and say wow!!!!! i might get as people have said some drift wood and maybe get it more planted i am willing to change the hole look prob even sell the fish unless i get some more fish..... :D

Hmm, I'd have to agree about more substrate. Perhaps to start you can try to lay that driftwood down so that it is over more to the left and the short arm is pointing up right about at 1/3 of the way across the tank (or get a bigger piece of driftwood :D ). Strap a big bit of Java fern to the wood (where it can't get uprooted). Also, I think many fish of the same species look very impressive.

HTH

more substrate

Why? Its certainly not going to improve the look of the tank greatly.

Long term I think you're going to fail trying to keep live plants with severums and will have to decide on one or the other. IMO you should scrap the plants, add some more wood, and perhaps a few more mid level swimmers like chalceus, silver dollars, rainbows etc/

Why? Its certainly not going to improve the look of the tank greatly.

If I didn't think it wasn't going to improve the look of the tank, I wouldn't have suggested it. And more substrate will make it look better, and more natural. Not to you obviously, but to me and some others that have posted it would definitely make the tank look better.

If I didn't think it wasn't going to improve the look of the tank, I wouldn't have suggested it. And more substrate will make it look better, and more natural. Not to you obviously, but to me and some others that have posted it would definitely make the tank look better.

I've found in the 6 years I've been using it, fine substrates like the red grit and messy fish like cichlids, plecos and dats you want to stir it regularly because its hard to vacuum. Unless you're going to go completely planted you're better off just having a thin layer covering the bottom that can easily be stirred to keep it clean.

sooo maybe i should get rid of plant and backroand get black backround change colour of gravel maybe and the get like some silverdollers or rainbows or something suggest some fish and is wat i said a good plane or not :D

The idea of the thicker substrate is just a proportion thing - because it's a big tank and the wood is all going upwards, it makes the substrate seem smaller in proportion to the rest. If you lay the wood down so that all the directional items are going longways like >>>> or <<<<<<<<<< then you might be happier with it already without having to spend all your money. Obviously it's nice wood and you don't want to get rid of it completely so why not fiddle with that first and see what you think.

Once the wood is flatter and there is more visible longways empty tank space you could get a handful of new fish - same or different - and that would give a more full look than at present.