Insy winsy spider

livingart

Carly I was moving wood from a very old shed in CHCH 4 years ago when a katapo spider bit me. (didnt know at the time, until test was done at hospital. I got very ill)

I have a half inch hole in my right arm very nasty scar from it. So supose he didnt like me moving his home.

so sorry Livingart I dont share your love for spiders now. :lol:

Or stick it in a jar with a Daddy long legs, white tails are no match for them.

thats interesting, someone once told me if all the daddy long legs start disappearing from your house youve probably got white tails...

I dont mind the daddy longlegs but their webs everywhere get a lil enoying.

thats interesting, someone once told me if all the daddy long legs start disappearing from your house youve probably got white tails...

I doubt it hehe, try it for yourself, they cant hurt daddys. Too much leg not enough body, they just step over the white tails and drop down to bite as they pass over. Few seconds later they wrap them up.

White tailed spiders preferred prey is other spiders, meaning if other spiders are disappearing it could be that white tails are the cause.

'Daddy long legs' are the source of much confusion. The first is around the name 'daddy long legs', which can refer to the fragile, web spinning spiders of family Pholcidae (which looks to be what insectdirect is talking about), the Harvestmen or the crane fly. The harvestmen is an arachnid, but not a spider. These a are the ball-on-legs you see everywhere in your garden.

Secondly there is a fallacy around daddy long legs having the world most deadly poison, only their fangs are too small to penetrate human skin. The mythbusters guys actually busted this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DzkM0zqDQ&feature=related

Gotta love those guys :)

I doubt it hehe, try it for yourself, they cant hurt daddys. Too much leg not enough body, they just step over the white tails and drop down to bite as they pass over. Few seconds later they wrap them up.

I guess if you've actually tried it, I'll have to believe it. But I would have thought the white tail would be the diner, not the dinner.

As a kid I tried a few different spider 'fight pits' and remember the orange coloured slater spider being the champ. It apparently eats slaters/woodlice, hence the name, but it certainly kicked some spinneret!

Thats what I thought too elusive, being a spider eater the white would be the winner, tried it on 3 different occasions now. Theres a good mythbusters episode where he gets bitten by daddys, yes thats right they can pierce the skin.