out goes the rams! in come the discus

Tom_Shannon

Hall some of ya know we have been growing up baby discus hoping that we got a pair!

but we didn't just get 1 we got 2! a pair of blue turks and a pair of red melons.

not bad out of 10 baby's.... at 50c size when brought about 10 months ago.

So we now have them paired off in there own tanks, and they have layed again but this time instead of eating each others eggs, the turks ate there eggs and the melons let them go to wrigglers and they the diapered?

So my question is anyone had any same out comes with discus?

is it that there a bit young and just learning still we have breed discus many times before but never had this problem they were always just good for us.

In the past we have brought older ones so haven't had to deal with the youngness.

I hope this ramble makes sense and someone can give me some pointers thanks....

Discus usually are best bred between 1.5 - 3 years of age. you must be doing something right to have year old discus doing so well :D:hail:

normally its best to let the parents raise the kids, discus milk and all... im sure you've read up etc..

basically clean tank, not too large, not too small. breeding cone, or filter inlet (my weapon of choice_ never fails) :lol: and a cold water change, dropping the temp by 2 degrees is usually enough to get them going once every 2 weeks or so.

thanks for your input!

the tanks are bare bottom 90L, with sponge filters and temp is around 31 they get a water change every night of about 20%, then will drop down to 29 once a week with a 50% water change, that is how often they have been getting frisky.lol

i thought it was a year old that the get the stuff on them to feed the young but could be wrong?

maybe they are too young at the mo and there just getting our hopes up lol

it would be good if they hold off over winter, its to cold in the garage and have a baby due in 3 months so will be a bit tided up with that.

:bounce:

Congrats and good luck :) I know nothing about discus but I know that alot of fish are triggered by the same thing and sometimes one fish breeding in a tank releases hormones which gets everything else breeding at the same time. I have heard of people taking water from tanks with fish breeding in them and sticking them in tanks with fish they want to breed to try and encourage them..

• 1 month later...

well for the last 7 weeks the discus have been laying at least every 4-5 days with the blue ones eating the eggs straight away while the yellow ones would look after them until they became free swimming.

then as of a few days ago the blue turks layd and didn't eat them so the fingers were crossed that the hatched and yep that happened to now they are free swimming and eating of the parents so ya. so now for the yellow ones 2 do it and we will be happy :D

I've been feeding my fish this high protein food for the best of 2-3 days now. I put it in a syringe, add some water and let it soak. Then i inject it in the tank. the pellets are small and an absolute pain in the you know what.

But it is so worth it!

My discus love it when its pre soaked and it sinks! the cories are feasting on it too!

This morning my brochis splendis spawned.

As I speak my steel blues are laying eggs and the dwarf flag cichlids are spawning too! :D

The discus have fat little bellies for the first time in weeks and the clown loaches are turning every stone in the tank trying to get it! LOL

The food would be perfect for little discus.

:bounce:

I've been feeding my fish this high protein food for the best of 2-3 days now. I put it in a syringe, add some water and let it soak. Then i inject it in the tank. the pellets are small and an absolute pain in the you know what.

But it is so worth it!

My discus love it when its pre soaked and it sinks! the cories are feasting on it too!

This morning my brochis splendis spawned.

As I speak my steel blues are laying eggs and the dwarf flag cichlids are spawning too! :D

The discus have fat little bellies for the first time in weeks and the clown loaches are turning every stone in the tank trying to get it! LOL

The food would be perfect for little discus.

They may be eating the eggs because somehing scares them, this can be something as simply as someone walking past them or a light being turned on or off. Try putting something on the front of the tank, and when you see the eggs try to leave the condictions the same. Some young discus will just eat the eggs (very frustrating) but can grow out of it.