Cold Water Danios -> Tropicals

Dawn

Does anyone know if I can change my cold-water Zebra Danios into Tropicals without harming them at all? I have half a dozen of them in a tank that I want to change into a heated tank and wondered if I did it very gradually would they be okay?

Anyone tried it before?

Thanks Shae, I'll give it a go then. Haven't decided what tank to put them into yet but the temp will be about 24oC or so. I bought them from a Pet Shop in Auckland, had never seen cold water Danios before or since. When I originally saw them I thought they'd be good mates for my goldfish, now most of the goldfish are gone so wondered if I could convert the Danios and start another tropical tank.

Let's get it straight before anyone gets carried away.

Zebs are NOT cold water fish.

BUT they can sustain COOLER temps for some time better than other so-called "tropicals"

In MHO, for a fish to qualify for a "cold-water" classification, it needs to survive an outside stay throughout winter.

That's not in Kaitaia either

Alan 104

Do you have to do it that slowly? I thot you just stick em into warm water and they will be ok. Because at my LFS, (Mt. Roskill Hollywood Fish Farm) they have this tank of danios, and on the tank it says "These Fish are in cold water, but they will live in both Cold and Warm Water." So I assumed it would be ok to just get them from the shop in cold water and put em into your tank.

Fortunately, I havent bought any danios yet.

Let's get it straight before anyone gets carried away.

Zebs are NOT cold water fish.

BUT they can sustain COOLER temps for some time better than other so-called "tropicals"

In MHO, for a fish to qualify for a "cold-water" classification, it needs to survive an outside stay throughout winter.

That's not in Kaitai either

Alan 104

lol

Do you have to do it that slowly? I thot you just stick em into warm water and they will be ok. Because at my LFS, (Mt. Roskill Hollywood Fish Farm) they have this tank of danios, and on the tank it says "These Fish are in cold water, but they will live in both Cold and Warm Water." So I assumed it would be ok to just get them from the shop in cold water and put em into your tank.

Fortunately, I havent bought any danios yet.

better to be safe than sorry.

Shae 250

I'd just go and throw a heater in the tank, adjust it until the light goes off then adjust it upwards a little bit every day until it's at the right temp. Nothing so specific as 1 degree every few days. I'd go more for like 2 days for up to the temperature you want.

I visited some Auckland Fish Shops on Monday

ALL were selling "COLD-WATER TROPICALS"

DUH!.

Some of those shops get uncomfortable hot.

DON'T go by the LFS discription, go from the advice here, and if you think that's wrong,

go do some research on the web yourself.

Don't get sucked in ! ! ! :evil:

Alan 104

I visited some Auckland Fish Shops on Monday

ALL were selling "COLD-WATER TROPICALS"

DUH!.

Some of those shops get uncomfortable hot.

DON'T go by the LFS discription, go from the advice here, and if you think that's wrong,

go do some research on the web yourself.

Don't get sucked in ! ! ! :evil:

Alan 104

:bow: i stand by you 110% alan, so many people put tropical fish through that.... i get asked in the middle of winter why i wouldnt sell them tropical fish to go in cold water when i dont like doing it in summer

I started a new tank last night so I set the heater at 20oC to start with and left it overnight. This morning the thermometer read 21oC which seemed to me to be about room temperature so I transferred the Zebra Danios to it -they couldn't believe their luck! I've now upped the heater to 22oC and will leave that for a day to see how we go - so far so good.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I would Alan except that they will eventually be going into another tank which is 25oC, this one is for my Cichlids. I just thought getting the new tank was a good opportunity to get them accustomed to warm water slowly.

The water in the new tank is a little cloudy at the moment, hopefully that will wear off in a day or two.

My comment is:

I hope and expect the stores selling the fish as coldwater explain the fish are not actually coldwater like goldfish but will be ok if kept in a coldwater tank that doesn't get too cold (18-20'C minimum) - basically comfortable room temperature. As long as this is clearly explained by the shops they have done their bit to ensure the fish will be properly cared for. They should mention a heater should be kept in the tank to stop it going below the minimum temperature during winter.

I doubt they do Warren, at least where I bought mine from didn't! That way they can sell you more when the others have frozen to death in the winter!

Now, don't anyone YELL at me - I'm not saying ALL shops are the same, I'm sure they're not.

They don't Warren, and that was why I mentioned the shops I'd visited that had this misnomer on their tanks.

It has now spread, from those shops to a worse informed area, TradeMe.

I've been banned from several dealers because I've got uppity about them calling their trades "coldwater fish".

The Traders take the word of the shops concerned as they, the traders, have said "well the shop at (*******) had it on the tank, so it must be right"

Maybe an official letter from the FNZAS to those I mentioned to start with, could be sent to ask them ever so nicely to change what they have on use more information.

Any others, shops, noticed in the area where you, the reader of this, could also reported to Warren for action.

Let's get rid of this "coldwater" fetish.

Alan 104

Ok, I'll contact the FNZAS Fish Committee, oh, that's me!! I'll organise a letter to shops selling these fish. It will ask them in a very diplomatic manner to give the customer all the details and maybe change the description they use.

I know some of the shops doing this. If you know who they are, please send me a private email. Do not post any names here please.

I must now say that there was one shop, Pupuke Aquarium, a little shop on the Nth Shore, was one that wasn't supporting this trade.

The shop deals only with fishie things and fish of course, and well worth being on the list of the top five to visit in Auck.

They also have a friendly staff member that will get in specials if you ask nicely.

They have in their display tank, the best torepedo barb I've ever seen, what a beautiful fish, but a bit outa ma price range tho, you realy need a school of them.

They'd look good cruising in Warrens tank, ten or so.

Alan 104