photo shop for real dummys

Barrie

Ive taken some shots of a wedding I did (dove release) yesterday

The light was very bright so I had my ISO set for bright conditions. As the time came close for the release a big very dark cloud came over and the resulting photos came out very dark

Please Mr (or Mrs) photo shop can you help me?

I have almost no skill in Photo shop with my only experiance is with opening the program.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how I may be able to lighten these photos?

Please refer to the topic header and realise that it is understating my problem

My next night school classes with be on photoshop

What version of photoshop do you have? I am in the same boat as you and haven't sat down and spent hours figuring out how to use it but I found that CS3 had a nice "auto correct" or auto enhance somewhere in one of the menus on the top that worked quite well..

Which version do you have? (Ninja'd by Ryan) In CS4 you can just press CTRL + U (Image>Adjustments>Hues/Saturation) to bring up Hues, Saturation and Lightness. Also Image>Adjustments has alot of usefull correctional tools.

If needed just email the pics to me.

HTH

I have CS2 version 8

May pay me to update it as it looks quite old and if Im going to learn about it, it should be on a new version I suppose

I will have a play later and see if I can find anything you guys have mentioned and if not, I will take you up on your offers

Thanks

I only have Photoshop Elements. I can lighten and darken stuff under Enhance then Adjust color/Contrast by sliding the bars to where I want them. I find the Quick Fix and Auto Levels come up with some pretty weird results often as not!

Image > Adjustments > Levels

Pull the left hand slider under the histogram to towards the center - not too much or it will blow out the colour, you can also adjust the center slider slightly to get the mid tones to sharpen a bit better.

If the histogram shows no content at the left - the black end - pull that a little to the right so that it sits under where the histogram starts.

If you get stuck - you know where to find me :wink:

CS4 purchased, will set you back about $1300+ :o

Yes, I would not purchase it. It's similar to CS2 IMO.

Image > Adjustments > Levels

Pull the left hand slider under the histogram to towards the center - not too much or it will blow out the colour, you can also adjust the center slider slightly to get the mid tones to sharpen a bit better.

If the histogram shows no content at the left - the black end - pull that a little to the right so that it sits under where the histogram starts.

If you get stuck - you know where to find me :wink:

There's a colour histogram in Picasa :-?

What version of photoshop do you have? I am in the same boat as you and haven't sat down and spent hours figuring out how to use it but I found that CS3 had a nice "auto correct" or auto enhance somewhere in one of the menus on the top that worked quite well..

That would be in Image > Adjustments > Auto levels

This feature has not been included in CS4

Stick with CS2, Barrie, it is not worth the money to upgrade to CS4 for the things you want to do. Your version is more than capable of handling it, and CS4 is so bloated that if you have a slightly older computer, it will run like a dog and hog all your resources. Photoshop is very bad at hogging memory and not giving it back unless you restart your computer.

The kids get annoyed with me because when I am at home and they want to know how to do stuff in Photoshop or Flash they ask and I can give them the info without looking at the computer - my middle daughter says it is scary... :o

wouldn't it be easier to send the images to Zev and tell her what you want to achieve.

Then when it is done you YOUR satisfaction, she sends it back to you?

simply yes but she has a lot on her plate at the moment and I need to be able to edit things myself as time goes on

Barrie, have you already bought photoshop? You could always try picasa from google; http://picasa.google.co.nz/intl/en/

Its a lot simpler to use than photoshop and does pretty much everything that an amateur needs to do to adjust pics.

Thanks David

It has to be easy (and was) as even I could do what I wanted to do

Thanks everyone for all your help