Help drilling AR380

breakaway

Look, comercially, we place the glass flat on a table with a covering on it. In my factory, I use the grass matting as it wont rot with water being on it all the time. My drill is a single sided drill which means that it drills from the "top"side to a half way point, then the glass is turned over and drilled through from the other side which creates a hole that is neat.

The other type of drill is a double sided drill which drills both top and bottom at the same time. This also creates a very neat hole.

The third method is by using a very slow speed drill (often a old eggbeater type) and useing either a spade carboundum tipped drill (normally no bigger than about 8mm dia) or copper and carbon paste/dust. All methods need to be cooled by water which also keeps glass dust out of the way as well(Silica dust kills you). This method normally creates shells or chips on the edge of the hole. Depending on how its chipped will probably weaken the glass a lot.(keep in mind that the pressure on the hole with the weight of the water may well break it as time goes on) To drill one hole should take you at least one hour and possible up to 2 hours if your using the correct pressure on the drill.

Yes, there are going to be a lot of experts (home handy men) that say Ive done it heaps of times and it dosnt take that long and Ive never had a break. For everyone of those experts I could show you at least 10 that have failed. As well as that, the guy that has drilled it and shelled it often wont know whats happened to the tank in say a years time when its filled just 10mm higher.

Simply put, the decission is yours, I honestly dont care. I can only offer 42 years experiance in my trade.

Barrie, thanks for all the info :)

just another idea but not sure on the cost.

You could get a another back sheet of glass made that has the hole cut in it. Then just take one off and put the other on.

This seems like a smart idea. Don't know about bothering with getting the existing rim off it etc! I think I'm going to just stick with trying to overflow. Alternatively, I could block up the trickle filter on the tank so it overflows back in (Hard to explain if you don't know the setup, I'm sure Brennos wil know what I'm talking about) and using that to house a sandbed / grow some caulerpa.

I just really wanted a sump so I could remove the heater, and easily add a skimmer later on if I so decided.

Other than siphons and drilling, is there any other sort of way to reliably get water to the sump and back?