Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

T5 lighting for a 36x18x18

Featured Replies

Question 1 of 50 :D

Need a unit with legs for the above tank, will be planted

2 or 4 lamp? and can anyone recommend me a unit & supplier

Ta

Andy

If your wanting to have a good planted tank the more lights the better, it's often a limiting factor for both plant growth and the types of plants you can keep.

If your wanting to have a good planted tank the more lights the better, it's often a limiting factor for both plant growth and the types of plants you can keep.

Within reason. A 1000w MH over a 2ft tank is probably going to burn everything underneath it :o

That is why most human beings have brains....

Yes, I know. But there are some people who read "the more lights the better" and think "Hmm... lets blast my tank".

Within reason. A 1000w MH over a 2ft tank is probably going to burn everything underneath it :o

I dunno...Peak solar insolation if I remember right at the equator at noon midsummer is about 3500 watts/square meter. So 1000 watts(Ignoring a mh isn't 100% efficient) would put you at about 2/3rd of that. So there's LOTS of room for improvement.:P

I dunno...Peak solar insolation if I remember right at the equator at noon midsummer is about 3500 watts/square meter. So 1000 watts(Ignoring a mh isn't 100% efficient) would put you at about 2/3rd of that. So there's LOTS of room for improvement.:P

Sounds like a challenge :wink:

I'm currently running an Arcadia tube and I like it alot. But have had mixed results with their fittings, the really old black boxes are good seem to go for ever but are only T8, but I have two newer T5 ballasts and they have both broken, thank fulling one was only loose wires so I got it up and running again. I haven't tried their "light hood" setups but seem to remeber reading a few posts with similar problems to mine with the ballasts.

The Glo units seem to be okay and a resonable price, they use 30 odd of them to run the tanks at The Pet Center in Porirua and have had no problems with them so far.

I have the same tank dimension as yours 36x18x18. I have the Hagen Glo T5HO 39x2 watts. For me, it is too much light if I don't have CO2. I have problems with algae. Now I have CO2.

If you want to go for 4 lights ( more than 2 watts per gallon ), you must have lots of plants, pressurized CO2, and not missed on your fertilising regime.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.