Red Eye Puffer Tank (Setup Log)

phoenix44

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome :)

The tank has an autumn theme now with all the colours!

:D thanks! i like colours :lol:

That branch looks like Manzanita. They are all over in the USA and are great for bird perches, very smooth. I haven't seen them here though...

there is a weird whitish film like thing on some of the little branches today.

any idea what it can be?

Bacteria/biofilm. I get it on a lot of my driftwood, even after weeks of soaking and bleaching and sunning and all that. It stinks and I keep rubbing it off and then it eventually goes away after a couple of weeks. The fish don't seem to mind - I am sure the same thing happens in nature. :roll:

No need to explain or show a pic, I know exactly what you mean - it looks sort of like a spider web or jelly. It even gets little white spots on it. Trust me, it stinks and trust me, it will go away after it runs its course. No need to worry.

the females are good (i know right....???)

the males are agro with each other.

i had 3 males, then down to 2, then 1 cause he killled the other 2.

then when i was away last week he got killeded... so now i have 3 females.

the irony of it all, so now i have to source a male red eye./

Ummm, how many rums have you had, Phoenix? :lol:

I was thinking of turfing my WCMM out of my 38l and trying some freshwater puffers - but then I will have to put my wee corys somewhere else...

oh god.. what happened here. what I meant to say nymox, is that they are an awesome fish, but unless you intend to keep only one, they would do better in a larger tank- 2ft long at minimum.

Zev, I have 3 GBA's in their tank as well as a bumble bee goby and they could care less about the other fish.

I have seen the males flare at each other, and that finally led to me having only one male in the tank.

Now I have 3 females, and will look at getting one more and then another male to make up for the last one that jumped when i was away.

Thanks p44 I hope the head wasnt too bad this morning, if so try appletons estate, not dark rum less impurities less hangover :P

I have a 58 ltr sitting there too, perhaps thats the puffer tank I been looking for then. I wont stock too much though. 1m 2f might be too much even.

cool well you've twisted my arm haha!

Will look at some over the next few weeks, I set the tank up last night so it will be well cycled :P That leaves me at a blank slate for stocking the ar380 though.

Thanks for the help :) glad ya didnt get a hangover.

That piece of wood I put in started rotting it in the tank. I washed it and left it in the bathroom and man did it stink!

The white stuff was like a fungus and killed 3 of my baby GBA's :(

thankfully the puffers and the bumble bee goby are fine.

Did a 90% water change last night.

So the wood is out, and the tank is presently being made into a blackwater tank with the puffers in it. I may add another small piece of drift wood to the tank at a later stage, if i can buy the right looking piece.

It is now black-water! :o :oops:

The black-water has eliminated my algae problems, and i actually like a small tank being that tannin stained. Would never in a million year do that to a big tank though.

Pictures are far too large for here so view them on here - resized and all.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank- ... uffer.html