Bolivian Rams - When to Wean?

amtiskaw

My Bolivian Rams have always spawned every three weeks like clockwork. Usually the fry get eaten by other fish in the community tank. However, mum and dad moved to a more defendable position a while ago, and the last batch have made it to the point where they are safe from the other inmates. :bounce: The fry are starting to behave like adults a bit, doing that darting forward movement they use for territorial posturing. Very cute since they are still tiny. :)

How big should I let them get before passing them on to one of the LFSs? Does anyone local want any? I have about 30. Pretty hard to sex them at the best of times, let alone when they are small, so can't guarentee what you'll get.

Great fish for cummunity tanks, very colourful and placid, yet not afraid to take on much bigger fish if they feel threatened.

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments. Took some video tonight, do you reckon they are big enough to pass on yet? Dad is really coloured-up at the moment.

Couldn't help adding some footage of the Red-lined Torpedo Barbs I got today. I think a Rummy-Nosed Tetra has adopted them :roll: :) Man. they were pricey, but they are great fish - very colourful and peaceful. They'll look great when they get bigger.