The tail of a death adder and a spider

Jennifer

Anybody interested in going to this talk with me? I thought it might be interesting

University of Canterbury, School of Biological Sciences – Research Seminar

"The tail of a death adder and a spider"

This talk will centre on the mechanisms behind the evolution of visual signalling systems. Using a spider example, I will discuss how stimulus recognition can be based on perception of its motion characteristics. I will also discuss how the 'caudal lure' signal of death adders works to lure Jacky dragon lizards to their death, showing how movement-based stimulus recognition can be exploited by deceptive signallers.

Speaker: Dr. Ximena Nelson from School of Biological Sciences and Centre for the Integrative Study of Animal Behaviour, Macquarie University, Sydney

Venue: Biological Sciences Seminar Room: Room 456 von Haast Building

Date: Thursday February 25th 2010

Time: 12.00 – 12.45 pm

All Welcome

nature is marvellous and the more you learn about it the less we seem to know

You're telling me!

Slightly OT, 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson is a really good read if you're interested in general science and interesting oddball bits of information. Like, for example, that the number of molecules in 2.016 grams of hydrogen is 6.0221367x10^23, equivalent to the number of popcorn kernels needed to cover the US to a depth of nine miles, or the number of cupfuls of water in the pacific ocean.