Glass catfish

mcrudd

250px-Kryptopterus_bicirrhis.jpg

I saw these fish at hollywood fish farm today and is very interested in getting them. Here is my stats, please let me know if I would be able to get them.

I have a Blue Planet Vista tank it is 155 litres, its the glass tank with the curved front.

My temp in my tank is set on 24 degrees but with these hot days we had it did creep up to 26.5 degrees

My water test always comes out the same, I check it an hour after my 30 persent waterchange I do weekly, it is as follow

pH 7.2

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Amonia 0

The fish currently in the tank is

3 Swordtails

3 Bristlenoses

5 Zebra Danio's (might get rid of them, they are not very healthy for some reason)

Those are glass catfish. They prefer to be in schools (6 or more) and are peaceful as far as I know, but I have never had them so I can't say for sure. I think they should be fine for your tank. Zebra danios are a nice fish and will occupy a different area of the tank so you could keep them and be ok - they also are quite active and that will give your other tank inhabitants more confidence. However, zebra danios are very hardy so if they are unhealthy, it might pay to check into why that is the case before you add any more fish. They might just be a bad batch but even so it would be risky to potentially sicken your new fish with a disease or make them ill with water conditions that are also making the danios unwell.

Oh, btw, it would be better to do your water tests before the water change so you can truly see what water parameters the fish are living in before you dilute it with fresh water.

Good luck. :wink:

I think they are a bad batch, I have had them the same time as the other fish. Got all my fish as fry and the swordtails are huge and fat and healthy, the bristlenoses are healthy and have even spawned and all their babies were healthy. But I got these long finn danio's one died of dropsy (I got 6 so they can school) and from the 5 that are left one has a bow back and its getting worse by the day and the one with the longest fins seem to have its fins tearing. The other three seem fine, but out of all of them I can say that only one Is very healthy and nice and fat. I just don't understand it. :cry:

I used to do my watertests before, then someone else said afterwards LOL, I will switch back to before, but the tests were always the same

either way :)

Thanks for all your addvice Jennifer

:D:hail:

I don't know what you are feeding but I there have been a couple of occasions where I have got new fish and they quickly developed a bent back but I kept feeding them fresh, frozen and live foods and they almost always come right. Might be worth a try if you are going to keep them. :wink:

I think your tank will be fine.

I'd also recommend at least 6...but when they are really comfortable, the won't always stick together.

I have some and I love them!

I like watching them eat :)

Be careful when bringing them home in the bag and putting them into the tank. Their whiskers will easily break, but if they do don't worry, they grow back.

ghosts are the nicest communal fish,they dont fight,they dont stress other fish,they just pic a nice peacefull spot in the tank and stay there,they tend to hover in a spot thats got ok water flow,i had three that where in my communal tank for a year then i gave them away because i wanted more space but i wish i hadnt now :cry: