Dwarf Cichlid Tank

PeggySue

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so would appreciate any advice you have for me on Dwarf Cichlids.

I have been researching for the last 6 weeks on what types of freshwater tropicals I want to put in a new tank set up. I'm not keen on big fish - 15cm would be maximum for me. I was considering a Cichlid tank as I think they're stunning, but after observing set ups at various pet stores, I've decided the level of aggression was a bit much for me.

I'm wanting a bit more of a peaceful (but not too sedate!!) set up, but with interesting interactions. So I've been looking at Dwarf Cichlids which I think are fantastic - I understand there will be some aggression, so I wanted to check that my 'planned' set up (Dwarfs with other peaceful fish) will be right. My plan is as follows:

• 215L tank. Decorated with plenty of rocks (hiding spots), black sand, bogwood, hardy plants & moss

• 3x Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Cockatoo), 3x Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi (German Blue) - is 3 a good number, or am I better with pairs?

• 2x Cleithracara Maronii (Keyholes) - not Dwarfs I know, but told they are really lovely peaceful Cichlids

• 5x Melanotaenia Boesemani (Boesemans Rainbow Fish)

• 2x Colisa Lalia (Dwarf Gourami)

• Considering a shoal of Black Phantom Tetra

• Any suggestions on suitable catfish, suckerfish (maybe Otocinclus Affinis?).

And is 2 types of Dwarf Cichlids more than enough, any possibility of adding another type such as Apistogramma Borelli as well or will the territorial battles be too much? (with lessening the amount of other fish).

And last question - could I put any of these fish in to initially cycle the tank?

Very grateful for any pearls of wisdom!!

3 cockatoo's would be good as long as you have one male and two females, but I would keep the rams as just a pair. Your tank should be big enough to support this many if they all breed, what's the footprint of the tank? As the bigger the footprint the better really so they can stay out of each other's territory's. Oto's are a great addition to a planted tank. I would say stick the tetra's in first then slowly add the rest.

Hi PeggySue, welcome to the forums. It would be good for you to introduce yourself in the Welcome forum. Also, it might also be beneficial for you to add your location in your profile (top right of the window) so people can provide local advice.

I am sure you will find many answers here. :wink:

Welcome! It all sounds pretty good to me, just two things to point out;

-What is the size of the tank? 215L Could have plenty of room for more cichlids or already be overstocked depending on if its a long and wide tank or a tall skinny hex.

-Great to see someone making the effort to use Latin names, but the species name shouldn't have a capital letter. Eg Apistogramma cacatuoides, not Apistogramma Cacatuoides.

Sounds like a great set up, I'd personally go with some whiptail catfish to keep with the South American theme. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm yet to purchase my tank (hanging out for payday!!). But have been looking at the 215L Aqua One AR980 - 99cm (w) x 47cm (d) x 60cm (h). Considering going second hand, so keeping watch on a few on Trade Me. So pretty much just in the planning stage at the moment - but really looking forward to getting up & running!

I see that Fruju is selling one of these on the Private Trade and Exchange forum here. Not sure if it is still avaialble but the link is here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43942

If it has already been sold you could always post a WTB (wanted to buy) query there to see if someone else is interested in selling theirs. :wink:

Good luck!

A tall narrow tank like the aquaone isn't really ideal for cichlids as they need floor space for territories, especially if kept in pairs. Its not the end of the world, but I'd seriously look into getting a glass tank made that is at last as wide as it is high (preferrably wider). IMO they look much nicer as well as being better suited to most fish.

Sounds like you are on to it :)

As already stated Rams should be kept in pairs but the cockatoo's can be kept either in pairs or in trio's (1m 2f). I agree with David on tank size they should have plenty of swimming room but don't need a huge amount of height. The rainbows and gouramis will make a nice addition but be careful to find the right balance of water parameters because the rainbows do prefer slightly harder water and a little bit of salt which is a no no for rams and apisto's.

Ottos are cool fish and are amazing character's to watch around the tank.

Keyhole are one of my favorites too but one cichlid that I have never been able to breed for some reason.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice & positive feedback on my choice of fish from everyone.

And big thanks Jenniferh on the trade & exchange recommendation, currently in contact with Fruju in regards to the tank. I think its an ideal tank for me to start with - within my budget & the right size for our little house. I'm aware that wider would be better, but I hope that 99cm(w) x 60cm(h) is a ratio that is satisfactory to begin with. I'll be keeping my eye on Dwarf Cichlid territorial battles, but like the suggestion of having a pair of Rams & 3 (1M, 2F) Cockatoos. And really looking forward to getting a pair of Keyholes as I only ever hear & read good things about them. I see I'll need to be careful about 'water balance' when introducing Rainbows - thought they would be an interesting contrast to the Dwarf Cichlids, and occupy the mid to upper levels of the tank. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I finally purchased my tank this weekend (second hand from Fruju!! - Thanks Fraser, I'm really pleased with it & really appreciated all your help & advice).

Here's how its looking so far. Did a 50% water change yesterday, & the tank has completely clear now, no cloudyness from the white sand. I plan to fill out the rear of the tank with tall plants & rock formations (with plenty of hidey holes). Tests are all good. So just waiting now for the weekend to start adding fish (& finish the decor!).

I plan to add Black Widows (4 or 5), Diamond Tetras (4 or 5), 3 Cockatoo's (1M 2 F), Blue Rams (pair), Keyhole Cichlids (pair), Pleco (maybe Chocolate Zebra), Loaches (3 Yoyo or Striata), & considering Boesemani Rainbow Fish (5) & Ottos.

Of course adding gradually - any advice on which to put in first, what order?

tank1.jpg

That is a nice setup you have there, and your stocklist is a great mix I think. Perhaps keyholes could be omitted for the sake of dwarves.

Have a look at angelicus loach also. It is my fav. But yes agree minimum of 3or 4 to get best from loaches

'Babyfish' has some really nice choc zebs at good size for sale at moment.

IMO, add tetras first to gradually build up the bioload and ensure the tank is settled then I would add the rainbows as they are hardy and will further build up the bioload. Loaches next and then the gourami and then cichlids once everything is stable (tank might be a bit 'fast' for gourami though IMO).

Good idea. I'd suggest adding the cichlids all at once if possible, otherwise some may become established and dominate any later additions.

Amazing looking first tank too!!! Its rare to see such control and planning in people new to the hobby, most first tanks (mine included) featured pretty much one of everything that looked cool at the LFS..... :lol:

Thanks David - when I purchased the tank second hand from Fruju, he gave me all those great plants, wood & rocks which made setting up the tank really easy!

Good advice on the Cichlids - think I'll plan to add those cichlids together last as the tank should be well established by then.

Hey Hey! :D:D my tank's looking good, well done, i like the white sand, primo! i like the fish stocks, but i'd swap the gouramis for more loaches (imo) and get some more of the plecs. if your interested in a good looking 'rare' dwarf cichlid they have apisto hongsloi at hff, great colour but steep at 48ish each :o but if you were to breed them you'd make all your money back no probs, just a suggestion. Should try some upside down synos, great in agroup, dont get big, look cool? :D

Cheers Fraser, I like how the white sand looks too - got it from 'Stone & Water World' in Mt Wellington, not badly priced at $17 for a 25kg bag (only needed the one bag)!

I'm agreeing with you on the gouramis - thinking now to aim to put in more loaches, they look like a lot more fun!! Might have a nosey at those apisto hongsloi at hff, but too soon for me add any to the tank - something to think about for later down the track though!