Annoying lights.

axolotl-danio

So it is most likely the starters then?

I doubt it, usually if the starter is faulty then it doesn't flicker at all. But starters are the cheapest to replace so try it first. Although, if the starter isn't preheating the elements in the tube(you should see an orange glow at each end before it lights) then it won't be able to properly light up.

Here Is a video of the lights. The center one always turns on but the two side ones ether keep flickering or flicker for a while and then turn on. The starters say Philips S10-C single 220-240V (Mains power I assume) 4-65 watts (I assume thats the bulb wattage my bulbs are 20 and 25watts). The ones on the mitre 10 website are $2 and labeled FLUORESCENT STARTER 4-80 Watt so in theory those ones should be fine right?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=vyseo1&s=6

My dad yelled out something weird at the end so just ignore that.

Try the starter but it is usually the tube. You may have bought a faulty tube. Try changing the tubes around. You know the middle tube is good so try the other 2 in that position and see what happens. Try the middle tube in the outer positions and see if the flicker changes too.

As all the tubes are probably the same age they will probably fail around the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Tube flickering = faulty tube

Tube ends glowing = faulty stater

New tube and starter still not going = call an electrician

Beware of tubes that glow at the ends without striking (as in a faulty stater) as a higher current is running though the ballast than normal,

thus the ballast heats up (a lot) more. If nothing is done about it, over time the ballast may fail or at worst cause a fire.

Sorry to hijack thread, A related question for those who know....

If the hood fuse blows oftern, would that indicate bad starter? I have replaced bulbs / fufe and things were good for a short period of time (dont turn on light oftern), then fuse went again a week or so later just when turning it on... (blows the second the light turns on)

Sorry to hijack thread, A related question for those who know....

If the hood fuse blows oftern, would that indicate bad starter? I have replaced bulbs / fufe and things were good for a short period of time (dont turn on light oftern), then fuse went again a week or so later just when turning it on... (blows the second the light turns on)

Is it a slow blow or fast blow fuse? Needs to be slow blow otherwise it will go when you turn the light on due to the high current surge at they start.

Otherwise it is probably a faulty ballast. A new light fitting would probably be cheaper than fixing an old ballast but should be considered anyway as they are far more efficient and don't get hot like the older ballast types. The older ones, when the tube ages, can get very hot. :wink: