what to breed?

cleadus1

im looking at getting some different fish to breed, i want something that is interesting but that i can also sell, not looking to make huge $ just sick of having lots of fish that are hard to sell... like kribensis. dont mind spending a bit on a breeding pair, cant have anything too huge my tank is around 3ft. im thinking of discus but is there any other species that anyone thinks would be good?

hmmm... blue rams could be good! do you know how much they are and if there was any that had pared off? saw some albino angels in my lfs, they could be interesting also... they were only young tho.

blue rams at hollywood are about $20 i think. last time i cheacked

some albino angel would be cool fully growen i would probley be keen to get some :hail::)

hmmm... blue rams could be good! do you know how much they are and if there was any that had pared off?.

The smaller locally bred ones are just over $20 each, but the high quality German bred ones (much larger and more colourful) are about $97 for a m/f pair. I know which ones I'd be going for if I was planning on breeding them.

I'd say blue rams would be one of the most in demand cichlids, and would get you a pretty good return on the initial investment when you get them breeding. Look at trademe if you want an idea of what not to breed. Convicts, jewels, kribs, yellows, lumpheads, livebearers etc, people are pretty much giving them away...

*edit* HFF also have Biotodoma cupido, which is a rare and new import and has probably never been bred here. Would be nice to see them bred here but I don't think they'll be anywhere near as good a seller as blue rams.

Order a pair of the double red cockatoo's or german bred blue rams from Hollywood. Fry of both would be well in demand (they'd probably buy it back off you!) and the breeding stock is good quality!

Only problem with both of these is they are harder to breed and keep alive.. It is very hit and miss sometimes they just go well for you sometimes they just drop dead or the fry just don't live. I agree it would be awesome to breed either and recently I have had upto 7-8 pairs of dwarfs but had no luck breeding any of them and gradually had losses before I had any fry to carry on..

Only problem with both of these is they are harder to breed and keep alive.. It is very hit and miss sometimes they just go well for you sometimes they just drop dead or the fry just don't live. I agree it would be awesome to breed either and recently I have had upto 7-8 pairs of dwarfs but had no luck breeding any of them and gradually had losses before I had any fry to carry on..

Thats why they're worth $20+ a piece instead of $2 on trademe, if they were easy to breed like most cichlids then they wouldn't be in as much demand. I guess it depends if the OP wants a challenge that will be worth his while if he's successful, or a sure thing that he can make some loose change from...

here is a photo of the male, its not the best photo... couldnt get one of the female.

DSC_0936.jpg

they are doing really well, i had heard that they will sometimes stop feeding etc when they have been moved etc but they have already eaten lots of flake food, live daphnia and mosqueto lavae.