Axolotl Questions

JarrenB

I am thinking of getting one and want to know...

- Axolotl or Axolotyl (I'm sure its the first one)

- Should I have gravel

- Best food to give them

- Do they need a chiller in summer (Hawkes Bay)

- What size tank should I have for 2 20cm Axolotls

- What should I put in there tank (plants, rocks, etc.)

- Axolotl or Axolotyl (I'm sure its the first one) Yep

- Should I have gravel I have sand as it can pass through them, gravel can cause death if gets stuck as they can eat it when eating

- Best food to give them ours get worms, heart, beef, lamb etc

- Do they need a chiller in summer (Hawkes Bay) no but keep in coolest room in summer

- What size tank should I have for 2 20cm Axolotls I have 3 in 3ft tank

- What should I put in there tank (plants, rocks, etc.) yes they need caves etc to hide in during day, they won't eat your plants

you might as well give plants a miss unless you have potted ones well anchored with heavy stones

they tend to dig things up

caudata.org is the most amazing site for help with axys, the forum for beginner axy owners is here http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/

my tip with food is to trim the fat off any meats you give them particularly heart, they don't digest it and it comes out the other end :o which is messy

also some sources say chopped boiled egg is a great food hmm maybe it is but it dissolves fast and scuzzes up your tank. Some people actually have a separate small bare tank they put their axys in to feed them

i would say dont use any substrate, they are VERY messy critters and it makes cleaning so much easier if they have no substrate...

Keeps your water cleaner longer and you can see all the poop easily, also they are VERY messy eaters...

I reccomend a good filter, and you dont need to fill the tank to the top as they dont really swim in the upper layers, this allows for mayby a smaller filter but you are acctually over filtering which is always good...

DONT keep with goldfish!!!! goldfish nip at them...

They are wicked pets... i would say a 3ft tank would be perfect for them.

I never feed meat axolotls dont eat beef in the wild why feed them it in tank earthworms,bloodworm and live foods are the best pallets take a week or so to breakdown in the axies system.River sand is a good base to have and plenty of places to hide they also need at least a 50% water change weekly