Heater choice...?

si_sphinx

Ok so I've got 800ltrs to heat up and keep at around 25deg. And i have these two choices in mind...

1sthttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=265343402

Aquarium Stainless Steel Heater 500W

108229121.jpg

2ndhttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=264341238

Eheim Jager 300w Heater

1st the 500W seems to be good as it is stainless steel so prevents me from breaking a glass one, however it costs more and i do not know much about the brand and how reliable it is. :-?

2nd the jager is a well known reliable brand BUT, I'm not sure if i am going to be able to fit it in my sump. i might just be able to squeeze it in :-?

What to do....?

Anyone have any advice on what i should go for or if there is something better to heat my tank.

Thanks.

I'd say Jager too, but I've never used the other brand. Not sure if a single 300watt Jager would handle 800L, I know they say it's rated for up to 1000L... but if it gets down to like 13 degrees in your house like it does on some days in mine a single 300watt may struggle a little. Just something to think about.

its just over 500mm long 8)

I have 400 long, 300 wide & 200 high for space but if i put it on an angle it might fit. how long is the element or how much of the 500mm heater do i need to have in the water?

I'd say Jager too, but I've never used the other brand. Not sure if a single 300watt Jager would handle 800L, I know they say it's rated for up to 1000L... but if it gets down to like 13 degrees in your house like it does on some days in mine a single 300watt may struggle a little. Just something to think about.

I also have spear 150W & 200W heaters that will be going in as a backup

Jager jager jager.

Dont be a cheapscate, buy the best and reduce the risk of frying your fish!

With $1000 worth of lifestock I wouldnt dare look at a cheap heater.

the 1st heater costs more than the jager. cost is nothing to me for my fish, im more after something that is going to be more efficient but don't want to buy something thats not going to fit or not reliable.

you could always run a jager in the tank that way if the sump pump stops working the fish are still heated

then put a 150w in the sump for a backup

This is true but i was looking forward to an equipment free look on this tank. How ever if the jager doesn't fit then it may have to go in the tank :)

It should fit if you put it diagonally across the bottom of your sump... maybe not lie completely flat. Providing I remembered my 3rd form maths... which I can't guarantee...

Bottom diagonal^2 = 400^2 * 300^2

= 250000

Bottom diagonal = 250000^1/2

= 500mm exactly so yeah...

It should fit if you put it diagonally across the bottom of your sump... maybe not lie completely flat. Providing I remembered my 3rd form maths... which I can't guarantee...

Bottom diagonal^2 = 400^2 * 300^2

= 250000

Bottom diagonal = 250000^1/2

= 500mm exactly so yeah...

Pythagoras is not pleased. You used the wrong sign.:P

I would not put a heater straight on the glass. glass on glass and the heat has caused about 4-5 qt tanks to break down here. I had to replace them today.

jagers come with those plastic white round thingies that go on the bottom of the heater to prevent contact between tank and heater :)

what do they look like? it had a white plastic thingie for when it was in the box, is that the same thingie?

Yes. it sits near the bottom of the heater to keep the bottom off the glass as the suction caps are usually half a kilometer away at the other end of the heater. :lol: