Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mollie hunt

Featured Replies

Is anybody currently keeping these Mollies? I live in Auckland so its a big drive to get down and check them out.

Another question do they hold their green colouration after being placed in tanks and/or bred? I ask this cause I’m curious to know if it’s diet of environment that keeps these guys green. I would take punt that they may loose their green after time in captivity or the offspring my be colourless (no green trait).

Depending on where you are in Auckland we could bring some next time we're up (next month hopefully).

They're maybe just under half size, mostly male it seems. It's hard to tell if they're green or colourless, they have this irridecent purpley grey shimmer to them. All in amazing condition, the swamp really must be good for them!

They sound quite interesting. I’ve know of them for years but I’m so far from them I can’t pay the swamp a visit unless I’m down there for other reasons.

The only fish I know of in my area are Gambusia and nobody wants those. Except maybe some oscar owners and the likes of. But you really shouldn’t remove them unless you intend to give them a quick end.

I tested the temperature when we were there too, it's about 30 degrees, possibly more in some areas. I kinda fell in (can't help being permanently clumsy :roll: ) so I can tell you that even in shoes the mud is HOT! Haha!

I've got them in a tank with lots of salt, temperature sits at about 29.

By the way, we're keen to organise a hunt in the summer as it's a wee bit cold down here now, a lazy 4 degrees in the mornings, a bit cold for some I would assume. It's about half an hours drive from our house. Will try and sort something out if a lot of people are keen. BBQ and molly hunt? :wink::P

It would be interesting to have some do let me know if you bring some up to Auckland. I'd be keen to breed and supply some to locals that can't make the trip.

I'm pretty strong in the belief they don't hold that wild green colour in captivity especially after your comment about the purple colouration. Like how flamingos are only ping due to their diet of brine shrimp. And farmed salmon are feed carrotine extract to give their flesh a natural peach colour as in the wild their shrimp diet gives them that colour.

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We had some in the MTI tanks, up in warkworth, however they don't hold that colour well and are more of a boring grey. hardy as ever tho!

Howdy

Tech class is going down for a taupo trip and will be picking afew up. Anyones welcome to some if they want, just give me a pm!

Could pick up in the weekend whenever :wave:

  • 3 weeks later...
Howdy

Tech class is going down for a taupo trip and will be picking afew up. Anyones welcome to some if they want, just give me a pm!

Could pick up in the weekend whenever :wave:

Did you get them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.