New rock formation.

westy1

Have recently had the oppurtunity to dive the great barrier reef,absolutely amazing!As a result i was inspired to change my rock setup.The idea was to get away from the fruit stand look,not that easy in a 4.5 foot tank! The result ,although the photos dont do it justice,is more depth and a 3d feel with heaps of caves for da fish,overhangs at the back sloping into three rock mounds that grade down to a sand bed giving a more natural look.Probably more surface area and lots of spots for corals.Hands are out of the tank for now! :D:Dbefore1.jpg before after.jpgafter

Thanks for the encouraging words! The rock was sitting on a full length raised black eggcrate base with front rocks placed on the glass in front.Spraybar at back full length/one top left sharing flow through a 4 way valve.The madness of a hard coral tank took over :roll: and splashed out on the turbelle streams,only the baby ones at 7000 l/hr turned way way down as these things at 100% peel layers off the glass!! Grabbed some thin metal shears and cut back the crate around rocks i didn't want to move and ended up only removing 2 rocks. 7 kg's of coral sand shelved slightly and all done!

• black eggcrate:lighting diffusers,mt wellington,yellow pages ,akl...they have heaps
  • techy 4 way valves:sched 80/ grey pvc valves,pipe,bulkheads,etc Plastic Systems,north shore,akl

beforeBefore%202.jpg afterafter%20front%20left.jpg

Another $5K thats wot! Maybe one day I'll have one. Just now I'm too busy anyway. I can neglect my freshwater planted tanks for a while without them turning to custard. Try doing that to a reef tank...

However, when I do finally go marine, I have the perfect 8 footer for the job. It's 2400(L) x 820(W) x 670(H) - about 1200L. I've seen a very nice reef setup in a tank this size at Aquariums in Paradise at Surfers Paradise. Its like a bigger version of Westy1's tank http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=4115